Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

need advice for guinea pigs about parents and other stuff

THEguineapig

Cavy Gazer
hi, I need help with some problems and I hope that you help me out, first of all I'm hoping to get a guinea pig, but I need help convincing my dad, I have my mom on board but not my dad who does not like any animal but fish in his house, but I managed to get a puppy two years ago out of him but now he is more strict so any ideas please.

2, one guinea pig is all my parents will let me have even if they say yes to one two is probably pushing it so any ideas to convince them of that

3, is there any way for my guinea pig to become "friends" with my dog, not besties but just be mutual, my dog is a shih tzu so she's small she is hyper active and she loves people, she would welcome burglars into the house with open arms, but she gets scared and will avoid and be scared of any animal she doesn't know like cats. So she will either think the guinea pig is a dog ( she's not that bright) or be completely scared of it.

4, if I can't get a guine apig buddy Should I just abandon my guinea pig dream or should I try to make it work with one

thank you I really hope you help me.

If you can't have two guinea pigs I do not recommend getting any at all. I know it is a bit of a bummer, but I would just wait till you can get two because piggies need companions. If you do get some guinea pigs I would avoid letting them near the dog. If you dog was ill than it might transmit the disease to you guinea. Your dog could also accidentally hurt the cavy or even kill it no matter how trust worthy he or she is. I hope when you are older you can adopt or rescue, but for now I would wait.

There are guinea pigs that won't tolerate another guinea pig so I'd go through a reputable rescue and ask if they have any guinea pigs that have to be housed separately from others. I currently have a female that is extremely aggressive with other guinea pigs but is as sweet as can be with us. She can't be housed with any others. You might get lucky and find one like her. You have to give loners a lot of attention so they're not lonely or bored, though.

Dogs are predators and there's no way of knowing if or when that predatory instinct might kick in so I wouldn't trust your dog with a guinea pig.

Thanks for the reply my idea was to get 1 guinea pig and be super responsible and for after a while ( like a couple of weeks) asked my parents for another giving them facts why I need a second one and that it wouldn't be much more work. And I wont worry about my dog because I get her checked a lot, and I was not planning on letting them be together supervised because don't want to make mistakes, my dog is also short so the cage will be out of her reach. And don't worry even if i can't get a cavy now I will definitely get two of more in the future

Thanks pinky, getting a loner or aggressive guinea pig was one of my ideas, if you have any organizations that you recommend I will gladly take suggestions, I live in Wisconsin

If you can't get 2+ piggies you shouldn't consider it. Sorry- I know it would suck if you can't get any. Also there are occasions where guinea pigs can get along with dogs and I have seen it. But I wouldn't try to put them together; thats a really unpredictable situation and you wouldn't want any injuries to your buddies. Like the other user said, some guinea pigs just CAN'T get along so if you find one like that it may work but you have to give it a ton of attention.

Also does any one have an advic to convince my dad

Also does any one have an advic to convince my dad
Tell him he won't have to pay for them or do any work for their care. Then ask ur mom to convince him ;) also can someone PLEASE tell me how to post one of these threads?!?! I can't figure out how!!!

Google "guinea pig rescues in WI" and see if there are any near you. Rescues often have a network of foster homes that spread out in different areas so you might find something near you. If you're a minor, you'll probably need a parent to fill out an application.

Tell him he won't have to pay for them or do any work for their care. Then ask ur mom to convince him ;) also can someone PLEASE tell me how to post one of these threads?!?! I can't figure out how!!!
@guineapiggiess Sure. I had trouble with that too. Basically since you have already confirmed your email, there will be a bunch of topics at the bottom of the page, with names like the kitchen and the cafe and fleece and bedding and about guinea pigs. Click on the one that is directly related to your post. Once you have done that there will be a pink button at the top that reads "post new thread" click on that and you will be brought to the writer. Good luck!

I would as your folks if you can foster a piggie or two for a shelter, that way you can show that you are able to take proper care of your piggie. Worse case scenario, if they still say you can't adopt at least you helped a piggie in need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.