Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White Pee (Possible calcium deposit?)

RaginAzN

Cavy Slave
My piggy (Sooty G. Wiggy) is almost 1 year old and she was born in my home from an unexpecting sow that I had adopted from Craigslist. Lately she has been crying while peeing and I notice white pee and sometime sludge in it. Her daily diet consist of:

Small Pet Select timothy hay (unlimited amount of it).
Veggies split into 2 servings (breakfast and dinner): 100g of mostly green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, green bell peppers or cilantro.
1/4 cups of either KMS or Small Pet Select pellets

I'm well aware of the food chart:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

Thus I feel that nothing I feed her is of high calcium yet all the white urine is telling me otherwise. Is it possible that some piggies just have this issue?

Here she is on the right and on the left is her best buddy Buttercup, both of whom are the bridge/tunnel guardians :p
White Pee (Possible calcium deposit?)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Some pigs are just genetically prone to stones, and diet has very little to do with it. Other pigs have no problem -- I'm pig-sitting a six-year-old boar who eats all he wants of Oxbow pellets, parsley, romaine lettuce, etc, and has NO powdery urine spots whatsoever. On the other hand, my two sows, who have had low-calcium diets for the last three years, still occasionally produce powdery urine spots. And one of them had two stones in spite of eating KMS pellets all her life.

But, 1/4 cup of pellets per pig is twice as much as they need, and all pellets except KMS have calcium carbonate (limestone) as their calcium source. Limestone has been implicated in stone formation, so I wouldn't recommend feeding pellets that contain it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.