Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine White spots in pee

Thanatos

Cavy Gazer
First....Hi all I am a fairly new owner and new to this site. I just bought 2 twin black and mahogany medium haired females. They are about 5 weeks old(no pics yet). I am using fleece mats as liners. I have noticed small white dots in the spots where they pee. Not all of them just some. I have 2 water dishes(soon to be 3) for them. They have long strand hay, pellet, and I give them fresh every day. They still hide from me, but I check them out every day and they heave bright eyes and run away from me as fast as possible(only had them 3 days). The fresh food has been mostly broccoli and bell pepper with some yellow and green beans. Did I get sick piggies? I will post handeling questions in the correct thread

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
I’m pretty sure that that’s just calcium. It’s normal for guinea pigs to pee out excess calcium. Are they still eating and drinking normally? If they are, then I wouldn’t be worried. Also, water bottles might be better. Guinea pigs can drink out of bowls, but I find water bottles to be more sanitary. I remember, once I tried water bowls and my guinea pigs made a game of flipping the bowl and all the water out onto their fleece. That ended water bowls for me pretty quickly. But you can use bowls if your piggies will drink out of them comfortably.

Thanatos

Cavy Gazer
My bad on the water containers.... I have a bottle and a dish. The next will be a gravity feed bowl attached to the cage.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Let's help you get those little piggies off to a great start!

What type of pellet are you feeding? Oxbow and KMS brand pellets are recommended. Avoid any pellets with colored bits or nuts.

Give them unlimited hay at ALL times (timothy and/or orchard hay are great types).

Great job giving them bell pepper. Bell pepper is fantastic because it has Vitamin C which pigs need. Never put vitamin C drops in their water (it degrades quickly and they may avoid drinking the water due to taste).

I would encourage you to give them green leaf lettuce regularly rather than the broccoli.

Also, double check each day that their water bottles are working properly by giving them a little tap to make sure they can get enough water.

Here is a link to great info for all new owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's normal for the urine of pup to be very white and milky. Don't worry about it.

Please read the link that @Smileandnod gave to you -- it's got good info for new pig owners. And ditto the suggestion for feeding them green leaf lettuce rather than broccoli.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.