Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage T-shirt used to make hay bags? Suggestions for hay troughs?

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I am thinking about making some hay bags for my pigs to help with the mess and save money. My pigs refuse to eat hay once it touches the floor and they are constantly knocking it out of their buckets and troughs.

I'm don't really want to spend money on buying the bags online and the nearest fabric store is pretty far from where I currently live, so I was wondering if it is safe to use a clean cotton t-shirt. Would that be harmful for the pigs if they ate a piece?

If you have any other suggestions for hay containers, that'd be great too!

plum22

Cavy Slave
Cotton has threads and would not be safe if they ate a piece. You don't have to go to a fabric store for fleece walmart carries fleece and many stores carry cheap fleece blankets( or no-sew blanket kits) you could cut up to make a hay bag for them.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You need to use fleece. It's the only confirmed safe material. There is some suede cloth that can work, it's thinner and less fluffy than fleece, but only certain brands won't unravel with strings like other fabrics. Rodents have lost limbs and strangled to death from getting tangled in loose thread. Usually because someone used cotton.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Okay - thanks, guys. I'll just wait til I can get some fleece then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.