Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Another sexing thread --are our piggies girls or boys?

pandamonium

Cavy Slave
We got our piggies and were told they were girls when they were 4 weeks old. Now, they are approx 4 months old and I'm suspecting they might be boys but it's so confusing. I went to the cavy spirit page and I just cannot tell 100%. From the rear it looks like they have testicles but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I also tried pressing above the genital area but nothing came out but they look like they have testicles from the rear for sure now so I took pics of their fronts so you can help.

I hope these pics are good enough to tell. The 2 lighter colored ones are one piggie and the other 2 are our darker one. So, it's 2 piggies we're trying to verify.

Thanks!

Attachments

20140921_171447.jpg 20140921_171423.jpg 20140921_171317.jpg 20140921_171830.jpg
oops it looks like the pics loaded sideways (just in case that makes it even harder) so just fyi . . .

Sure look like boys to me. And at four months, you should be seeing boar glue in unexpected places. But you should be able to extrude a penis to confirm it. See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm for instructions on how to do that.

lol my family is already grossed out that I'm checking out genital pics and posting them here. I tried rubbing one of the piggies (that just sounds all sorts of wrong lol) and thought I felt a ridge but nothing came out.

I'm thinking (hoping) regardless they are both same sex so that's my main concern for now. I also want to verify if they are in fact boys, because I know now we would need to learn how to do the anal area. ugghh! lol

When you rub your finger crosswise across the stomach just above the genitals, you should feel the ridge. That's where you press, down and toward the rear end.

When you rub your finger crosswise across the stomach just above the genitals, you should feel the ridge. That's where you press, down and toward the rear end.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I felt the ridge, but nothing came out but he/she?? lol was getting pretty squirmy. I'll keep trying. My only saving grace here is luckily both piggies look the same and both seem to have testicles so I'm fairly certain they are the same sex. I HOPE! I just want to verify if they are in fact boys.

We'd have to rename and eventually change their fleece colors. haha

Might explain why they are so big too. At 4 months they are just shy of 2 lbs and I thought that was large for girls but we're first timers so pretty clueless in that regard.

Look like boys to me too.

Just shy of 2 pounds at 4 months? wow! Could they possibly be cuy?

What color are they? Can you post pictures?

Yikes! Be careful with the dog. An accident can happen in the blink of an eye.

Yikes! Be careful with the dog. An accident can happen in the blink of an eye.

Oh I know. You can't see us but my son and I were both right there. Also, we've had that dog for 14 years so we know his disposition very well. I'm also aware dogs are dogs, but we take extra care. If the dog even look at them like they might be a snack they are automatically separated, etc. We have children and none of us ever want 'that' scene. :(

Thankfully my cats have never looked at my pigs like food but my boyfriend brought his dog over once and he immediately wanted a taste. Now they are on a 3ft stand but I still get nervous when he brings his dog over. I am not sure what we will do when he and the dog move in.

The dog likes correcting them if they are chewing on stuff. We are trying to litter box train them and my hubby would tell them "no" when they are chewing on the plastic and now the dog will get worked up and try to 'tattle' on them. lol

So, do you guys think they could be cuy as well? They certainly seem to have the colorings and weight but man . .2 surprises in one day-not sure about all of this! haha

ok, I might have calculated their ages wrong . .I think they are closer to 6 months but still . .2 lbs that's huge, right? Could they be cuy?

Pigs are close to their adult size at 6 months, so 2 pounds isn't big at all.

Pigs are close to their adult size at 6 months, so 2 pounds isn't big at all.

Oh, I hope that is true! lol I can't imagine how much more they would eat if they were cuy. lol

2lbs sounds very normal for 6 month old guinea pigs. I have girls who are just shy of 7 months they are 2.06lbs (935g) and 2.26lbs (1027g). Even if they are in the 5 month range I think 2lbs is normal for male guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.