Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Another introduction, with 2 new piggies!

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!
I joined this group back in April, after Squeaky joined our family. Unfortunately, long story short, he was very sick when we got him, and even though we did everything we were supposed to do (we went weekly to the exotic vet for a month) and he had started gaining weight and was acting perfectly fine, my daughter found him passed away before school started last month. He obviously had more wrong with him than could be detected, and his vet was as shocked as we were. So.....my daughter wanted another piggie for her birthday, so the kids and I went and looked at a vet/shower/breeder's house (please no flames....after what we went through with Squeaky (his medical stuff is on that page), we could not go through that again, so we picked out 2 from separate litters. This vet was the one I'd never met before, but who called me (after talking to my vet) about what was going on with Squeaky and things we should do for him. Without her help, he would not have survived, and if I had taken him back to the mom and pop place, he would have died alone in the back room never knowing what love was. So, my daughter picked out a red/white satin peruvian, and his name is Fire Ball. We've had him 3 wks now (he was 5 wks old when we got him). I really wanted a pink/red eyed piggie. There were several that were ready to go with Fire Ball, but I fell in love with a lilac roan peruvian, and I was able to go pick him up yesterday evening. They are getting along wonderfully, and have had no squabbles at all. They are already snuggling with each other, and are so cute. Since Fire Ball lives up to his name, I wanted something that was calmer...lol! I suggested Edgar, and my husband suggested Poe, and since I was introduced to EAP in high school, and more about his writings in college, and I happen to work in a library, we decided his proper name would be Edgar Allen Poe. Edgar when he is being naughty, and Poe being what we call him. I'm still amazed at the size difference between the both of them, with there only being 3 wks difference between them. Poe was born on my son's birthday, and he helped me pick him out. I think that's pretty cool. Anyway, as soon as I can figure out how to resize pictures, I will post pics. Have never had long haired piggies before (Squeaky was our first piggie, and he was short coated), but we love how crazy their hair looks.:eek:

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome
congratulations on your new family members... hope their settling in well...

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
We have had no problems with introductions! They act like they've never been apart from each other, and do not like to be taken away from each other. They'll snuggle and chase each other during floor time, and Poe always tries to get under Fire Ball (like he did with his mom). I picked up Poe to put him back up and then get Fire Ball and put him up (afraid of one of them trying to jump and end up falling in the process). Poe (all 4 wks of himself) started SCREAMING at the top of his lungs and was trying to climb from the middle of my chest where I was holding him close, and almost made it to my shoulder before I could get a good hold on him again. I got him put up, and then Fire Ball got fired up, and they both started chattering with each other, making sure each other was ok. So glad we have 2 piggies this time.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Congrats on your two new boys (thought please opt to adopt next time!)

I'm not sure if the breeder told you about the possible health problems Satins may get? If not, here is a great page to read through, I've got a couple satins in the rescue and so have had them x-rayed and will make sure any potential owner understands of the possible health issues.

(broken link removed)

It's a shame she breeds roans, as due to a genetic defect they can produce Lethal White guinea pigs.

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
There is one rescue that is near me, and I did contact them. They did not get back in touch with me. I have been involved in rescue for many years, and have a rescue myself.. I asked to not be flamed. After what we went through with Squeaky, I wanted a healthy pair of pigs, and that is exactly what I got. Squeaky was rescued, and he lived 4 mos, with a month of that being seen by the vet weekly for 5 wks. I have 2 children who took it really hard when he died unexpectedly, and I did not wish to go through that again However, thank you for the link.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.