Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Guinea pig smell

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
First off sorry if this is in the wrong place second I have three boars and I have been living with them and their smell for about 2 months now and I was wondering before I get anything if Air Wick Scented Oil Air Freshener is guinea pig safe. Just want to make sure so that I don't get my babies sick

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
How big is their cage? If the cage is too small it will smell stronger faster. Boars tend to need more space than females.

miniver

Cavy Slave
Can you tell where the smell is coming from? Is it the boars, the cage, the hay? If it's the boars, is it all of them? Just tyring to help narrow it down to get you the best answer.
An issue with smell at one time or another is something we've all had to deal with.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
also frequent cage cleaning keeps the smell down, what are you using to line the bottom of the cage with???

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Yes their cage is a bit too small. I am going to be making them a bigger one here in a few weeks. And I am lining the bottom of their cage currently with newspaper and towels

miniver

Cavy Slave
I'm using puppy pads in the high traffic (pee) areas, just under the fleece but on top of the towels. They hold the liquid and the smell better than towels or newspaper. I found I needed to change towels out at least every day, sometimes twice a day. I think a change of bedding will help with your problem.

Kelsie's suggestion of an air purifier is a good idea. I've been thinking of investing in one. Thier much more effective than an air freshener would be, and safer for the piggies.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Newspaper is the worst choice in the world as far as smells in the cage is concerned. Towels aren't good for the top layer because they ravel, and a pig could get an intestinal blockage from the thread. You could get some fleece and clip over the towels and that would help a lot. However, keeping a small cage from smelling is nearly impossible -- the bigger the cage, the less work you have to do to keep it clean.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Newspaper is the worst choice in the world as far as smells in the cage is concerned. Towels aren't good for the top layer because they ravel, and a pig could get an intestinal blockage from the thread. You could get some fleece and clip over the towels and that would help a lot. However, keeping a small cage from smelling is nearly impossible -- the bigger the cage, the less work you have to do to keep it clean.
I have fleece over the towels

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Smaller the cage, the faster the smell worsens, and faster the smell worsens, the more often you will have to spot clean their cage, remove and replace towels, and newspaper. If I were you I'd honestly just get rid of the newspaper and go with two layers of towels, or, if you have any, go with puppy pads. I heard they don't smell as much and seem to work better.

Sadly, I don't have puppy pads, but I'm planning on getting something better to use below the fleece than towels. Although my boars' cage doesn't really smell unless you put your nose right up against it. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.