Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Solitary Guinea Pig

marie78956

Cavy Slave
I recently lost guinea pig. I don’t want his middle aged cage mate to remain a solitary guinea pig for the rest of his days, but I’m also reluctant to get a young boar. Has anyone had any experience with introducing an older boar into a cage with another older boar?

Thanks,

Dawn

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss but I'm not sure about boars. I have five sows. I just introduced 2 new sows (one was 5wks old & the other was about 10-12mons old-I'm guessing) to my older trio of sows (who range in age from a year to 18mons/2yrs). The trio seemed to nip at both but would nip at the older of the duo. The baby would just sit there and wheek really loud when they'd get near her. I'm going to try & add one more girl and will be trying to get a younger girl. I think a younger girl would fit in better unless I get a girl that is more laid back.

That maybe the way to go. You could see if the rescues/shelters have a boar and ask if he seems to laid back.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
How old is you boar?

I introduced a year old guinea pig (about a year) to two guinea pigs over a year (at least a year old could be 2 years could be 5 years, they were found after a hurricane in a colapsed house) and they all got along great. In the days after they were introduced one always rumblestruted at the others but that was all. The farther away from their first meeting less rumblestruting and now none.

tankintheair315

Cavy Slave
One thing to do before you put them togeather is wash everything that your older boar owns. Then Before you put them togeather (after quarenteen of corse!) is to have them take a bath. Then You put perfume on your hands and pet them both to get rid of scent. Then your yonger boar will have some territory over your older boar. Sorry bout tour piggy.:(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.