Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General You guys are going to HATE me... Please read this I need advice with my pig situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
I think that it's wonderful that you are finally considering @PigPandemonium
But I still do not understand why you still think you deserve to adopt new ones?
What makes you think that they won't get sick, or cost you hundreds of dollars?
Because, they will. If you cannot afford the ones you already have, you do not need any more.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Oh! That is fantastic news! :D

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
I think that it's wonderful that you are finally considering @PigPandemonium
But I still do not understand why you still think you deserve to adopt new ones?
What makes you think that they won't get sick, or cost you hundreds of dollars?
Because, they will. If you cannot afford the ones you already have, you do not need any more.

I deserve them because I can correctly care for them and give them a loving home and I can pay for the vet bills. I will take the money out of my savings.

seida

Cavy Slave
I just don't understand at all. They're your pigs. I've only had my pig a month and a half, but she's my baby. I could never send her away or give her to anyone else, she's MINE. I'd feel uneasy leaving her with anyone else even for a weekend.

Why do you think pigs you adopt won't need to see a vet? Why don't you want to put in the time and money to help the pigs you already committed to giving a home to?

The vet may have made a mistake, but that's not your guinea pigs' fault, and it's a shame you're taking it out on them. Hopefully they'll at least get a good home as a result of this thread.

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
could someone just riddle me this:

What are the vet bills you have had to pay? How often? How much would you spend on them a year on vet bills? How much is a vet bill for whatever you had to take ur pigs in for.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
I deserve them because I can correctly care for them and give them a loving home and I can pay for the vet bills. I will take the money out of my savings.

You know, animals are not like toys - A broken toy may be useless and may need to be replaced, but a "broken" (sick) guinea pig can usually be treated and cured of his ailment. After such medical care takes place, there is no difference health-wise between the pigs that you "love" (oh the irony!) and the future pigs that you are planning on adopting. Even more importantly, how do you know the vet screwed you? I recently adopted rats. One had a URI. I got antibiotics from the vet. The antibiotics didn't work. I went back to the vet. Got different antibiotics. The second antibiotics worked like a charm. My second rat caught the URI. I used the antibiotics the vet gave me. Now both rats are healthy as can be. The point I'm trying to make is that treatment doesn't always work the first time, even with a competent vet. Not every antibiotic kills every strain of pathogenic bacteria. If you told the vet, then the vet would probably give them a DIFFERENT medication. So why are you so angry at petco and the vet?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Just to see the vet is usually around $50. I had a pig who needed a tumor removed from his cheek. The first time, it cost $500. When it came back, it cost $750. I took two of my pigs in, for different reasons, the bill for both ended up being over $300. Meds can add up as well.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
If you can pay for the vet bills, why not pay for your current pigs to go to the vet? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

That being said, this post has made my brain hurt, and I need to go to bed so I can enjoy the day with my little brother tomorrow. Goodnight y'all. I really hope this works out for PigPandemonium and those two innocent piggies!

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
Just to see the vet is usually around $50. I had a pig who needed a tumor removed from his cheek. The first time, it cost $500. When it came back, it cost $750. I took two of my pigs in, for different reasons, the bill for both ended up being over $300. Meds can add up as well.
How did the tumor get there? Was it there when you got it or it happened while in your care?

lissie

Cavy Slave
could someone just riddle me this:

What are the vet bills you have had to pay? How often? How much would you spend on them a year on vet bills? How much is a vet bill for whatever you had to take ur pigs in for.

It depends on different location. Regular vet visit for me is $65. For emergency visit is $100. I've had a pig who had teeth issues and had to go in for molar filings, had it done 3 times at about $300 each. I had a full blood test, x-ray, and heart ultrasound done for that same pig, about $800. Another x-ray + blood test, another $400.

Another pig who had abscess that had to be surgically removed, another $300 or $400 (can't remember).

I've also taken them in with other minor issues which costs about $100 each (visit fee + medication fee).

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
It depends on different location. Regular vet visit for me is $65. For emergency visit is $100. I've had a pig who had teeth issues and had to go in for molar filings, had it done 3 times at about $300 each. I had a full blood test, x-ray, and heart ultrasound done for that same pig, about $800. Another x-ray + blood test, another $400.

Another pig who had abscess that had to be surgically removed, another $300 or $400 (can't remember). I've also taken them in with other minor issues with costs about $100 each (visit fee + medication fee).

I really plan on devoting everything I have to the new pigs I will get from the rescue I have 1,800$ in my savings I am willing to spend it all on vet bills if it comes to it. once I get a job i will get a cashflow and i can pay for them that way.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Or like one of my pigs got walking dandruff and he had to be taken to the vets for that. They can get sick.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How did the tumor get there? Was it there when you got it or it happened while in your care?

No matter how well you take care of the pigs, you cannot prevent tumors. Just like humans, you cannot prevent cancer. While you can avoid certain foods, you can't really predict you'll get cancer or not.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I really plan on devoting everything I have to the new pigs I will get from the rescue I have 1,800$ in my savings I am willing to spend it all on vet bills if it comes to it. once I get a job i will get a cashflow and i can pay for them that way.

Then why can't you take care of the pigs you already have? They are yours.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave

He was an older pig. 5 years old when the first tumor showed up. I'm not sure how it got there. Some pigs are more prone to it than others, I guess. The second tumor grew in the same spot that the first one was in so maybe there was something about that location where abnormal cells just grew. After the second was removed, two more grew in its place. He passed not long after that.

No, it wasn't there when I got him. He was 6 mths old when I got him. I had him 4 1/2 years before any tumor at all showed up.

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
Alright well hey guys I am very sorry for all the arguments that occured in this thread I will look forward to talking to (broken link removed) tomorrow. And if all goes well she can buy my pigs and i can get two more from a rescue and care for them and pay for vet bills when needed. that makes FOUR saved pigs in good care and loving homes im going to get some rest.

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
The OP simply can't direct his/her frustration away from the pigs and toward petco. This points to immaturity, and nothing anybody on here has said seems to do any good...

lissie

Cavy Slave
Did we not get through to you at all? After all these posts, you are still dumping your responsibility onto someone else. I really hope you do not get any more animals in the future.

I LOVE MY PIGS

Cavy Slave
Okay ive been thinking maybe guinea pigs arent the pet for me. I am thinking of getting a dog instead and using the 1800$ i have to pay for its expenses. IF me and (broken link removed) can come to an agreement tomorrow please pm me asap pigp goodnight all

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Since I Love My Pigs has left, I was wondering if anyone knows what the names of the piggies in question are? It'd be nice if they were referred to by name, I think. The little beings deserve it.

Thank you, I Love My Pigs for at least making the decision that piggies might not be for you. All non-human animals are a lot of work, cost, and most of all, responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.