Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Woven Grass Accessories - Safe?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I believe they are made to be "chewable", just look for ones with no wires or rope. Oxbow has those too. Our Pet Food Express has them.

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
Oxbow makes some really nice lounger ones, tunnels and so forth.. ;)

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I might stick to the Oxbow versions. Apparently Drs Foster and Smith gets these ones from Marshall's Pet Products and they are made in China from "dactylic gloneratal, also known as Chinese Timothy". Hmm....

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I would stick with Oxbow too.. ;)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd dispose of them when they get soiled since they could become a breeding ground for bacteria.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Yes, China is where some producers were found to be putting melanine in the petfood. Melanine is a cheap and poisonous substance that gives increased protein readings. Thousands of pets in the U.S. died from eating this adulterated food.

In practical terms, it works this way in China. Effectively, you can adulterate any food product in the sense that it is illegal to misreport ingredients but no one checks. If it is for people and they are harmed then you get executed. So most producers don't dare to adulterate things 'too much'. If you are caught adulterating 'only' petfood, you get fined--unless it causes an international incident, in which case you get executed. (This was explained to me in China by Chinese students, last year! I loved the country, but jeez, it is sometimes scary!)

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I'd dispose of them when they get soiled since they could become a breeding ground for bacteria.

I agree with this... My piggies seem to like to pee on everything, lol.. I have disposed of mine and their wooden house.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
I personally own one and I put it as a bowl/plate for their hay. Mine normally won't pee on it if it has hay on it. Unfortunatley animals go wherever they feel like going, unless trained. Either way, they still go anywhere. I would say it is safe for a while. If they pee on it than it needs to be removed. It hasnt happend to mine before though.

Pigjes

Cavy Slave
I prefer grass huts, at least they don't have a bottom to get soiled. That way, they last a few weeks, before they collect poos at the rim. Even then, the bottom rim can be cut off easily, trimmed less than an inch, and used once more for a while.

I bought them once and I must say the pigs went nuts over them. They sniffed, smooched, licked, each pig went all snarfy over their own hut not letting another pig in. But eat it? No way!!! They refused to come out, unless for a quick snack, but they just sat there enjoying the smell. Silly pigs, :crazy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.