Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick worried that my pig might be seriously sick

• Thread starter doryrules123456
  • Start date

doryrules123456

Cavy Slave
Hi I have a 5 year old female guinea pig named Lady B and she isn't acting right and I need advice. She is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping normally but she looks awful, she has lost weight and looks in pain. Her eyes are goopy and she is moving slow, right where her ribs stop is large. I'm extremely worried because I've never seen her like this! Does anyone know what could be wrong?

There could be any number of things wrong, but all of them need investigation by a good exotic vet, and pretty quickly at that. Do you weigh her regularly?

I agree with Bpatters, I would contact a vet.

It could be a number of things. Is there any hair loss?

No hair loss and I have a vet visit in 2 days which is the earliest appointment, but I'm just so worried and confused

They are so good at hiding illnesses. I hope your vet can give you a firm diagnostic as to whats wrong. Please keep us posted.

Well, if she goes downhill, just pick her up and take her in and tell them it's an emergency. People who work at the front desks of clinics have to try to slot people in whenever there's a free time, but some illnesses just won't wait.

I haven't weighed her in a while but she has always been chubby and is can tell she lost weight which was a red flag for me and last night she looked like she was hurting

Well, if she goes downhill, just pick her up and take her in and tell them it's an emergency. People who work at the front desks of clinics have to try to slot people in whenever there's a free time, but some illnesses just won't wait.
I will definatly be keeping my eyes on her and if she gets worse I'm going to tell them thank you!

Weighing a pig once a week, or more often if it's sick, is a great idea. It's often the first clue you have that something is going wrong, and you can then attend to it before it gets to an emergency status. You need a scale that weighs up to 5 pounds in both ounces and grams, and they're usually available from Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. for about $15, give or take a dollar or so.

She started shaking and I called the vet and we rushed her in a they said there is nothing we can do to save her so I brought her home put her is her cuddle cup and I will sit with her till her perfect spunky heart stops. Thanks for your help! I bought a new scale and will be on top of everything!

I am very sorry. Good that you will be with her in her last moments.

I am so sorry I know how hard this must be but I'm sure she knows that you cared about her and tried your best.

very sorry to hear this :( just keep her comfortable and safe <3

I am so very sorry to hear this. I'm disapointed that the Vet didn't even try to get you meds. to see if possibly it could help. I pray she doesn't suffer and my heart goes out to you.

so sorry you did what you could

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.