Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites worms?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
What would a guinea pigs worms look like?! I just put mine down on the kitchen floor, so I can clean their cage and noticed that there was a worm thing on the floor. I don't know if it came from the vegetables I just clean and cut up, or from the pig itself?!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Boar glue, maybe? Some boars produce sperm rods which are sort of worm-like. Can you post a picture?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
No I can't. :( It was moving like a worm. About an inch long. Had legs. Lots of legs.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
No I can't. :( It was moving like a worm. About an inch long. Had legs. Lots of legs.

Google millipede, centapede and silver fish and see if any of them could have been it.

Last edited:

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have seen millipedes in my house in Florida and we get silverfish here in Maryland. I have actually seen one in the GP cage under the fleece when I went to change them which was weird because the times I have seen and killed them before was in the bath tub.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it had lots of legs, it didn't come out of the guinea pig. Looks like a millipede to me, and where there's one, there are others.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
How do I get rid of it? And why would it have been inside?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They squeeze in through cracks in your house. Call a pest control company, or spray yourself. Just protect the pigs when the spraying is going on.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
What if it did come from the pig though? How would I get rid of it then? I'm scared of it being worms and it being passed to me or my kids.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
They squeeze in through cracks in your house. Call a pest control company, or spray yourself. Just protect the pigs when the spraying is going on.

Do they cause issues?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If that's what it looked like, it did not come from the guinea pig. Guinea pigs very rarely get internal parasites, and the ones they do get don't look anything at all like that.

Piggy_

Cavy Slave
How do I get rid of it? And why would it have been inside?

If you just place it outside that should be sufficient to get rid of it. There's really no need to spray anything- millepedes don't commonly cause 'infestations' of houses in the same way cockroaches etc do, except in very rare cases. They feed on decaying leaf litter and similar decomposing organic material (do you have any potplants in the house?) and are great little nutrient cyclers in the garden. The only reason they would come inside is if they're seeking to escape environmental extremes outdoors (very hot weather, for example), or if they find a nice dark damp crack somewhere that just happens to follow through into your home. They can look fearsome but they're really nothing to worry about :)

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I've seen intestinal worms in many dogs, but this didn't look like them honestly. It looked very much like the picture I linked. I don't know, maybe it was an adolescent inch worm? I want to say it may have come out of the head of romaine I was cleaning. I have been watching my little guys' poops and see nothing concerning. I have found nothing in their cage. They were on the floor yesterday for several hours and still, no problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.