Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Ring worms?

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
There is a patch of flakey skin on my pigs ear I'm wondering if it could be ring worms.

Attachments

image.jpg

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ringworm is not actually worms at all. It's a fungus that can sometimes grow in the shape of a ring. This does look fungal to me in which case you can treat with an over the counter fungal medication like for athletes foot or a yeast infection. One important thing is that it can be transferred to humans so make sure you wash your hands before and after you handle your pig.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Looks fungal. I am dealing with it on mine as well.

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
Do I have to go t The vet or is there something I can just buy to treat it. Should I treat my other Guinea pig as well?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
You don't have to go to the vet I am using virgin cold pressed Coconut Oil for mine look at your other piggies ears and see if you see it then treat it as well if you don't then if you have to do something with the non infected pig then wash your hand really well.

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
Should I seperate my pigs. They've already been together about a week

scoottie

Cavy Slave
No don't separate them they have already been exposed to each other

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
For a fungal infection you're going to want something stronger than coconut oil. Coconut oil has some anti-fungal properties but not enough to fully wipe out a fungal infection.

Check out this page: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

You can easily threat this at home. Go to a local pharmacy and look for yeast infection medication. Monistat, Lotrimin, Nystatin, ect.

Apply it sparingly twice a day with a q-tip. Keep applying it for several days after it looks healed. Fungus can be tricky to get rid of. Be sure to thoroughly wash your hands and your clothes that have come in contact with the area.

Only treat the pig with fungal patches, if your other one looks fine then do not treat it. Also no need to separate, the other one has already been exposed. Be sure to keep the cage cleaning and I would recommend thoroughly washing all hides and items once all signs of the fungus have cleared up.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I caught mine early so it has been able to wipe it out. But for future if they ever do get it again which I hope not I will get an anti fungal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're not wormS, and they're not caused by a worm. It's a fungus. See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html, go to a pharmacy and buy one of the creams listed there, and treat the pig by rubbing the cream on it twice a day. Use a q-tip, and wash your hands and arms well afterwards. It's contagious to people.

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
Now when I apply the cream it seems sensitive and she'll shake her head. Is this normal?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Yes they wont like it mine do it too.

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
image.jpg
I know it's normal to have a bald spot but can they get too big?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell where that spot is. If it's behind the ear, it's probably notmal.

If it's somewhere else, watch it carefully. If it gets an bigger, post back here and we'll tell you how to treat it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.