Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood safe to use for hideys?

Cavy Slave
I have obviously heard the dangers of using wood shavings for bedding. In particular, one always hears about cedar and pine shavings being particularly dangerous, while aspen is less so. As such, I have always avoided using wood of any kind in my guinea pig cages, opting to use fleece, paper pulp, plastics, etc. for the infrastructure of my cage instead. However, I have also seen/heard of people using wood for hidey boxes for their guinea pigs. I've seen in some threads on here that people say pine is the best option for wood hidey boxes. I was just wanting some clarification. Is it dangerous to use pine (and other woods) for hidey boxes? If not, why is it safe for hidey boxes, but not for wood shavings? Wouldn't the dangers of the oils and aromas be just as prevalent in a hidey box as in shavings for bedding?

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Good question...I use aspen shavings for bedding...not fleece. I have wooden hideys...not plastic. Personally, I would be more worried about a pig ingesting plastics or fiber than aspen dust. Maybe I'm wrong...I don't know.

Oh! One fabulous benefit of the aspen shavings is that it make the BEST garden mulch! High in nitrogen...my iris and tomatoes LOVE it!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Pine shavings is fine to use if kiln-dried.

When you build a hidey from wood, you can buy kiln-dried pine from lumberyard.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yes, we used kiln-dried wood on our wooden hut.
If it smells like pine, dont use it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.