Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Wished I could sew :/

crazycavymom

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that buying fleece liners they are really expensive, I wished I knew how to sew I would make my own!

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
You can just use binder clips to clip the fleece/absorbent layer to the coro.

crazycavymom

Cavy Slave
Yeah but it doesn't look as good.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
My binder clips are decorative. They have different shades of purple. And they have dots, speckles, and stripes.

MoinkMama

Cavy Slave
If you know someone who can sew, maybe they can help you/teach you how to do it? Fleece can be a little tricky to work with, but fleece liners are relatively easy to make since they are all straight lines - a great project for a beginner. And since it's got a bit of a stretch to it it's a little more forgiving of mistakes.

DawnM

Cavy Slave
I agree with MoinkMama they are very easy to make. There are lots of good Youtube videos to help you learn how to sew. You can get a good used sewing machine for cheap if you don't have access to one. Most fabric stores like Joannes in the US and Fabricland in Canada have beginner sewing classes or maybe a friend or relative can show you the basics. Learning how to thread the machine and wind a bobbin is most important and then practice on some scrap material and you will be sewing in a matter of hours.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I can't sew but I was able to make some. I made them into pillow case, which is what they are.

MamaFurry

Cavy Slave
I'm with you @crazycavymom. I have never tried sewing and I have a brand new machine I have had for 10 yrs. I was getting ready to try it after watching many youtube videos and my pedal was missing from the box thanks to one of my kids. I had my liners and fleece all ready. I bet you could do it if you tried. You would save a ton of money, especially since fleece is so addicting!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I haven't seen anyone do it on here but...you don't have to sew it. You could do it like the no sew blankets that you tie. My pigs love to lay in the fringe. You can hand tack, just a little, to keep the layers from shifting, but the rest could all be just tied. Super easy.

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
I'm not good at sewing, but I just made a full cage sized pad for my girls. Rectangles, I can handle. The round shapes? No chance. It is far from perfect but should work pretty well! Took a ton of pins, and a moderately successful practice piece (which will be good enough for a pad beneath a pigloo). I wish I'd taken some pictures!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
congrats on making your pigs bedding
that's so enspiring!!!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Also, as my sweet little old neighbor lady told me, "Please remember you're making something for them to pee on."

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
Here's a picture of the pad that I made for my girls. Very simple, just a rectangle with some extra seams to try and keep everything from slipping around. I know the cage is totally empty here, this was as soon as I'd laid the piece down because I was so pleased that it actually fit! It still isn't perfect, but for a first try I think I did pretty well. There's also a mini version of the same pad under their pigloo now that I used as a test piece. It isn't as good, but it works as an extra pee pad!!

Wished I could sew :/

MamaFurry

Cavy Slave
I love it!! You did a wonderful job!

crazycavymom

Cavy Slave
@Red5Iam I like your liner I think you did an awesome job, I don't think mine would look like that on the first try lol. I also noticed that you have a Midwest cage which is what I have too, Can I ask how big of a piece of fabric you use, Like did you add extra fabric to it just in case you messed up??

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
@Red5Iam I like your liner I think you did an awesome job, I don't think mine would look like that on the first try lol. I also noticed that you have a Midwest cage which is what I have too, Can I ask how big of a piece of fabric you use, Like did you add extra fabric to it just in case you messed up??

I tried to reply earlier and I guess it didn't take!

When I bought my fleece, I bought 2 yards of it (which winds up being a piece something like 72"x60"), knowing that I'd have extra and if I messed up on one I could fix it. I also bought 2 yards of my PUL fabric, but only needed one UHaul to have lots extra (those things are HUGE!). I measured out the floor of the cage which was roughly 24"x47", and [attempted] cut it so that it would have a little edge that went up the sides of the cage. So I cut it at about 26"x49". I'd say this is too small and needs an extra inch in each direction to do that properly (so 27"x50"). Once I cut one piece down, I used it as a template for all six layers (2 fleece, 2 U-Haul, 2 PUL), pinned it up and sewed it together.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.