Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Guineadad drying issues

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm having some serious issues with the 2 Guineadad liners I recently bught. I usually use fleece w/ uhaul from Etsy, but finally decided to spend the $ on Guineadad.

First issue is they hold a lot of water after washing, due to the backing. I have washed them twice so far, and both times water collects in the bottom or a corner as I lift it from the washer. It sloshes around and I have to squeeze it out. The area is then back to soaking wet.

Second issue is they take FOREVER!!!! to dry. I hang all my fleece to dry and rarely put it in the dryer anymore due to issues with shrinking. I let it hang for a day, and put it up. A few days later I was going to use it, only to discover the pocket area and inside was still damp. Possibly my fault for not checking before storing. I don't like that it takes so long to dry.

Is there a solution to any of this? Guineadad instructions say not to put in the dryer. Aside from these issues, it's a nice liner, but not one I will be buying again if I can't solve this.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It says not to put it in the dryer, but do you have the option to put it in the dryer with no heat, just forced air? That might be a solution. My dryer will tumble with no heat on a moisture setting that will keep going until it senses its dry.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. We just got this dryer not too long ago (used). The low heat setting feels really hot to me. It has a moisture sensing setting like you mentioned, but I don't think it has a no heat version. I'll have to look!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My work clothes have to be dried on no heat. The heat destroys the 3M reflective striping. It takes longer but the moisture sensor does a good job of tumbling it til it's dry. The setting you're looking could also be called 'air fluff'.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Turns out I do have this feature. It's called air dry or something like that. It only has a setting up to 30 minutes. I'll try it next time and update this post!

iggy

Cavy Slave
I have personally dried guineadad liners on low heat. They really do take a long time to dry otherwise, especially if you have high humidity! I put them on 2 cycles of low, and then leave them to air dry, which takes around 3-4 days.

If you get their premium liner, it dries faster since it has better airflow I believe, but will still be wet out of the dryer

Extraterrestrial

Cavy Slave
Does your washer have a spin cycle? Running the wet liner just on a spin cycle after washing helps pull out all the water. I fold my guineadads in half when I wash them lengthwise, so the blue backing is on the inside of the fold.

Anawilliam850

Cavy Gazer
I was looking some answers about it, because i have a similar issue with dry, thank you all

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I have personally dried guineadad liners on low heat. They really do take a long time to dry otherwise, especially if you have high humidity! I put them on 2 cycles of low, and then leave them to air dry, which takes around 3-4 days.

If you get their premium liner, it dries faster since it has better airflow I believe, but will still be wet out of the dryer

Do you have issues with them shrinking? It is time for me to wash them again. It will be warmer this weekend so I may just leave them in the sun.

SSLee

Cavy Slave
The GuineaDad liner does shrink in the sun. Mine are shorter now by about an inch due to me drying them in the sun. The instructions on the blog below specifically states not to dry in direct sunlight (it is close to the end of the blog).

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
The GuineaDad liner does shrink in the sun. Mine are shorter now by about an inch due to me drying them in the sun. The instructions on the blog below specifically states not to dry in direct sunlight (it is close to the end of the blog).
Hm, maybe that's how some of my fleece shrunk. The sun is very violent here in Texas.

As for this round for the liners, I gave them 2 half hour cycles on the air dry option in the dryer. Then I hung them to dry. They didn't accumulate a ton of water against the backing this time, so that probably helped.

iggy

Cavy Slave
Mine are shorter now by about an inch due to me drying them in the sun.
Do they continue to shrink if you keep drying them in the sun? Or is there a minimum size they'll shrink to? I need the width of mine to shrink by maybe another half an inch to fit perfectly in my C&C since they come oversized!

Speaking of which, I wonder why they say to not air dry their fleece liners? If you look at tips from Kavee, tip #3 is to slap theirs under the sun at every moment possible, unless I'm misreading it:

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Once I discovered I shouldn't be drying the liner in the sun, I stopped doing it. I also expanded to a larger cage so the shorter length is irrelevant as I needed to add an extra piece at the end to take into account the larger cage.

The GuineaDad liner is made with bamboo fiber and that material does shrink. I don't know what the Kavee liners are made of but likely not bamboo.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Once I discovered I shouldn't be drying the liner in the sun, I stopped doing it. I also expanded to a larger cage so the shorter length is irrelevant as I needed to add an extra piece at the end to take into account the larger cage.

The GuineaDad liner is made with bamboo fiber and that material does shrink. I don't know what the Kavee liners are made of but likely not bamboo.

How long did you leave them in the sun? I have washable pee pads that I'd leave outside all day, but they haven't shrunk. Not sure if they even do shrink, tbh. I'm sure I've left my fleece outside for too long. It's shrunk noticably to wear some of the liners have a gap between them and the side of the coroplast. Nowadays I just hang them inside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.