Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Why use Coroplast?

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I recently went to my local Fedex Kinkos to look at coroplast, but when I saw what coroplast (corrugated plastic) actually was, I was suprised. It wasn't what I thought. So my question is, why do people use it? I got this different stuff instead that was cheaper and I believe would be easier to clean. I got some foam boards instead. So, if you could, please tell me why.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Coroplast is easy to clean and light. Most importantly very durable. I've had mine for over year and I plan to have it for the life time of my piggies. I usually only pay $20.00 for a sheet. I can tailor it to what whatever shape I want. I can form sides how ever high or low. I don't know how nice foam is. As far as I know it's not a good water barrier and will probably get smelly and soggy from urine.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Coroplast have different thickness. The ones recommended for cages are 4 mm. You might have seen the thinner ones.
I got mine for $10 for 4x8' sheet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Coroplast is like plastic cardboard. Easy to score and fold, pretty much waterproof, durable and pretty easy to clean and lasts for a long time.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Foam boards are not going to work. You will find that they will get soggy when peed on (if they don't ingest it) and they are not as durable - you can't score or bend them to make walls.

You're going to have to end up throwing them away and buying new ones repeatedly.

Coroplast is reusable.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
The coroplast I saw was not flexible at all. It was like cardboard and very expensive. I have a budget. I expected it to be thin plastic, flexible, like you said, but it wasn't like that at all. I was kind of surprised, after the praise everyone was giving it.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
The coroplast I saw was not flexible at all. It was like cardboard and very expensive. I have a budget. I expected it to be thin plastic, flexible, like you said, but it wasn't like that at all. I was kind of surprised, after the praise everyone was giving it.

It's not very flexible, that's point. You want your piggies to have a stable flooring. You score one side and bend it to make sides.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
How in the world would you make the sides, then?

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
That makes sense. Next question: How much did you guys buy it for and what size did you get?

Seonta

Cavy Slave
The size is going to depend on the size of your cage. So you take the number of feet in length and width and add at least a foot to both if you want the sides of the coroplast to be six inches all the way around.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
Thanks! This is very helpful! What if your making a second story? A little platform?

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Well you put the grids out for the platform and then put the coroplast on top of it. Make sure that you use a good ramp too. I would go through the picture gallery for those ideas.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I'll come up with something. It may be longer then I thought before I am able to make her cage. Perhaphs I will use the foam until I am able to buy the coroplast. It has a protective, waterproof layer.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Don't go to Kinko's for it. They're a rip off and probably trying to charge you the printed on price. They tried that with me anyway and wanted me to pay over $50. I got a 4x8 sheet from a small sign store for $20 and he cut it to size for me. Some people have found it for even less.

Go here to see if someone in your area has found some and where. Where? If not, try the internet or yellow pages for sign stores and call around

If you use a razor knife and cut lightly so that it only goes through one layer (for lack of a better word) of the coroplast then it will bend easily to make the sides.

4callmemama

Cavy Slave
I called my local sign shops and asked for scrap pieces that had already been printed on that would be discarded. They gave it to me at no charge, I just use the side with no ink to be next to the piggies.

guinea12

Cavy Slave
I too went to my local sign shop, FastSigns, and they have pretty good prices there.

SushiBonzai

Cavy Slave
I found coroplast for a great price at Regional Supply Inc. Thanks for all your help :)

trail_hawk

Cavy Slave
Coroplast Tips

I found sheets for $10.00 a sheet (4' x 8'). It is easy to work with, but you have to be careful with the scoring of the sheet. I had better luck with a pocket knife (the middle blade is just right for controlling the scoring process) than with a razor knife (too sharp and flimsy) . In addition to the tray, I made huts the size of a large shoe boxes for shelters. Garage Sale and Political signs that have expired might be good ones to scavenge.

huts.jpg

I need to support the loft a little bit, it bows down. I'm going to try and find a piece of plumbers pvc this morning that will fit around the bottom of a grid connector, making it easy to remove for mat cleaning and replacing.

sheepblade.jpg

The middle knife blade (called a sheepsfoot) is my tool of choice for scoring the coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.