Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Which is Most Ideal Location?

TeamNinjaBug

Cavy Gazer
Okay, I have a couple places to put my new Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus, and I need help deciding...

On my Island counter
Pros:
-It's high so I'm not towering over him
-It's a bit more difficult for my cat to access than the other options, so he's not constantly sitting by or on the piggy cage with curious attention
-It's right by the fridge, so easy access to yummy veggies!
-Said fridge and freezer (if left open) can help provide a cool spot during hot summer days!

Cons:
-It might be too high for me to access him easily. I'm not sure yet as I'll have to set up the cage up there to test that out.
-My kitty, although friendly with rats, will no-doubt be curious about the new addition and might jump up and cling to the side of the cage. I'm worried over how sturdy the cage might be and if the canvas bottom is a non-slip surface. I don't want my kitty to accidentally drag the cage down when he jumps up there. He's learned not to climb the rat's cage (one of my rats, Oreo, taught him well not to do that), so maybe he'll apply the same rules with the guinea pig cage. Maybe I can put Oreo in the guinea pig cage after setting it up so she can teach my kitty to avoid that cage too! lol

On my dresser
Pros:
-Again, I'm not towering over him all the time
-It's shorter than my island counter, so it'll be easier for me to access

Cons:
-Easier access for me means easier access for my kitty. He might find it easier to climb onto the cage when I'm not around, and again, might accidentally drag it off the dresser (if it's possible to begin with; maybe the cage is strong enough to hold my kitty's weight without tipping over and I'm worrying over nothing!).
-MIGHT not be wide enough to securely hold the cage; I need to set it up to make sure.

In the corner by my bed
Pros:
-Seeing my piggy upon first waking up! :3
-Easiest access to my piggy
-Easy in-and-out during floor time
-Don't have to worry about my kitty tipping it over

Cons:
-He's on the floor, although perhaps I can put heavy-duty moving boxes under the cage to give some elevation!
-I'll be a giant to him and he might get nervous
-Kitty will definitely have easier access to climb the cage. He'll probably make my new piggy nervous with the curiosity he'll no-doubt have.

Or maybe I should put the cage on my bed! It's a Queen size, yet I'm the only person here! There's more than enough room for the both of us! :crazy:

Anyway, I'm leaning the most towards the island top, but I'm still anxious of the cage's strength to not get dragged down from that height; it'll no doubt hurt both my piggy and my kitty if it's not heavy enough to keep it steady and falls... What're your experiences with the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus on a high surface with curious kitties? :confused:

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I've never used the midwest, but you could try putting the cage there now, minus pig? and seeing if your cat drags it down while there's still no danger.

mci1986

Cavy Slave
I would not have the cage on the island or near anywhere you prepare or store food. Guinea pigs may not smell but they pee and poop a lot and you do not want to have them anywhere near your food prep areas on a permanent basis. For the same reason and the fact that it is not a stable location I would recommend not putting the cage on your bed.

Second the Midwest Plus is 13 pounds empty. Add in bedding, food dishes (you are using heavy ceramic dishes, right?), water bottles, hideys, and the guinea pig itself and that is a fair amount of weight for a cat to try to move. The only risk of the cage tipping over would come from if the cat was hanging off the side while the cage was hanging off the edge of a table. If you keep it on a large enough surface so that it isn't hanging over an edge there should be little risk of a tip over. Things that you can do to improve the stability of the cage:
  • Bolt the dresser to the wall - now the cat has to tip over the cage, dresser, and a structural wall.
  • Put bricks in the cage - increases weight but it may make the dresser a bit to top heavy.
  • Use wood pellets + fleece bedding - same effect as the bricks but its about 30-40 pounds of pellets as bedding.

Putting the cage on the floor does prevent the cat from knocking it down but you have to be more worried about drafts than if the cage was higher. It would also stress out your guinea pig as it would see you as a giant from that angle (well, more so than usual)

To echo what @bpatters said in your intro topic: a midwest isn't large enough for two pigs normally. So when you are looking at places I would recommend planning out an extension or getting at least a 2x4 C&C cage in the future (exterior dimensions of 30"x60"). If you can source a sheet of coroplast locally (check sign shops!) you can build a c&c cage for just about the same money as a Midwest plus.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I would vote for the corner by your bed, but find a table or something you can put it on. That way it will be up off the ground, easier for you to reach to clean, and you could store your supplies underneath.

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
I am voting for the - on the bed!
thank for such enjoyable post!
cover the cage and let the cat meet the piggy
our cats (before they passed away) sunbathed in the cage when it was on the floor, and piggies didn't mind, they have learnt to live with it, 2 hours per day max

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.