Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Where to buy hay in hereford

guineagins

Cavy Slave
Hello! I'm a soon to be guinea pig mum and i'm looking for somewhere to buy hay from, timothy hay is best but as long as it's fresh and green i don't mind, it needs to be in the west midlands i live in hereford so i'm just wondering where to buy from i've only lived in hereford for about three years, sounds like alot but not for me! So if anyone knows any good feed shops or pet shops please tell me! :D

Look for nearby farms that can sell you hay!
If you want to look online, here is a great website:
(broken link removed)

I don't live in Hereford so I can't really suggest any places, sorry! All I will say is please avoid ones selling animals, I'm sure you already know about how awful animals are treated before they get to the pet shop (i.e. breeding mills).

I buy bulk from Petplanet.co.uk (online pet supply shop - the don't sell pets just supplies) or sometimes Sainsburys meadow hay is not bad either, it smells nice and fresh, is not too dusty (i'd know as im allergic to dust) and is £2 for a kilo bag which lays a 6-days/week for 2 pigsters. (probably longer if you don't give them enough to drown in like I do)

Note that with Petplanet delivery times that they despatch within 2 days but it comes from Scotland so normally 4-5 days delivery time from placing order. Don't confuse their delivery times with it arriving within 2 days.

I buy my hay online from here - (broken link removed) The hay is lovely and fresh and you can get 9.5 kilo's for £16 which includes delivery. I have two guinea pigs and the hay lasts them for 3-4 months!

I would also recommend Hay for Pets. It's a lot lovelier and greener than the pets at home hay I used to buy and also means I don't have to go into Pets at home anymore!
They do a sample pack which has Ings, Timothy&Rye and Meadow Hay so you can see what your guineas like best. It's only £3.50 :)

Mine go mad for the Meadow Hay.

Which hay is the 'best', I know guinea pigs each like their own different hay and there is no best, its all down on liking but if what's different between the Meadow and Timothy and Rye hay from Hay For Pets?

Rye isn't a very good hay for guinea pigs. It's not considered a "long strand" grass hay, and is higher in starch than grass hays.

Generally, guinea pigs can eat the same hays that horses can -- they have similar digestive systems. If you google "rye hay," you'll find that many horse owners don't consider rye suitable for horses as a regular food. Based on that information alone, I wouldn't want to switch my pig to rye.

Other long strand grass hays that will work equally as well as timothy are orchard grass, meadow grass, blue grass, and brome.

I think I'll try using Meadow, see how that works out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.