Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Where is everyone's favorite rescue and why?

Gracespigs

Cavy Slave
I was just thinking about how blessed I am to be about 4-5 hour round trip close to The Critter Corral in Steger, Ill and that I will be able to adopt 2 precious girls from them this Saturday! Got me thinking, that it would be nice for everyone to maybe talk about their favorite rescue or what rescue they got their guinea pig/s from and what they loved about them the most? It may be a vaulable piece of information for people who have never been to a rescue or know where to look or realize that they are in their area. I hope I posted this in the correct spot. I also thought it would be nice to share why we love rescues, but especially ones we may have adopted from, maybe help educate people who may not know about them and share who we love and why!

I am thrilled with The Critter Corral in Steger, Ill. They have went out of their way to help me find the perfect match for my family and more importantly for the pigs. We went over several pigs, over several days and weeks, till we got the perfect match. They answered every question I have had and are currently working with me to help my mother find her perfect match in time. They have accomodated me in so many ways! THANK YOU! HUGS!

I love that they have pignics, open houses, have volunteering, sponsering pets, becoming a memeber and are just so amazing in all their communications to everyone. They have a great website and go through petfinder.com too. They make it easy to donate and are the greatest pleasure to assist me in our new soon to be additions.

I cannot wait to go there this Saturday and hope to be involved with them for many, many years to come! For me, the trip is certainly worth getting wonderful new additions from some of the most caring, supportive and loving people rescuing pigs I have been blessed to interact with. Thank you deeply to Rose and Kris who have worked so hard with me helping me and most of all for all the rescues you have done over the years! And thank you to anyone involved in rescues for teaching us and giving such a gift of finding that perfect forever home for Guinea Pigs!

Anyone else want to talk about what rescues they have been too and why you love them so much?

I am involved with a rescue called Wee Companions located in San Diego, California, which rescues guinea pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, hamsters, and other small exotics. I absolutely love the rescue because everyone involved is so kind, generous, and dedicated, and they are basically my role models! The director, Fenella, has at least 60 guinea pigs at her home from time to time and I just think, WOW, every time I think about her and that immense amount of dedication it must take to push through day after day.

The whole rescue is very avid in terms of promoting proper care and advertising their favorite sites and businesses, including GPC, Jens Custom Crafts, and GuineaLynx. I really enjoy volunteering with them because, of course, I love being around their guinea pigs, and they're always helpful with any questions regarding guinea pigs I may have and offering supplies that I need with my fosters.

They're constantly having adoption events to promote their adoptable animals (especially their guinea pigs--they've had a lot of "dumps" this year), as well as educational and outreach events. Their publicity is impeccable and they are just a well-rounded organization as a whole. Though the organization is still growing, they've definitely achieved a lot and adopted out a lot of homeless animals. They rescued their 5000th animal last May. They currently have 6 lethal white guinea pigs, 9 sanctaury pigs (one of which I have at my house), upwards of 70-80 guinea pigs, and 30 or so other animals, with over 20 volunteers who help in all areas of the organization. I just can't say enough positive things about WC!

Though I was never able to adopt from Wee Companions, they accept me as their own and frequently offer their items and services to me--pig-sitting, cage accessories, grids, to name a few.

I have to say, because of Wee Companions, I'll always be part of a rescue and I will always adopt.

That sounds like a great rescue too! I loved reading about it!

Most local rescues here are nothing like the ones in the US and I guess the UK too. There aren't many pigs up for adoption, pigs are housed in small cages with minimal health treatment, as the owners can't afford more. Two rescues here in a 2 hour radius, they rescue sick pigs and barely ever others. They keep the sick pigs for life, as you can only adopt them virtually in one and sponsor the other.

Pet stores here have to jump through serious hoops to be able to sell pets, the laws are so strict, luckily, so about 99% doesn't sell pets at all. We had a serious governmental campaign against back yard breeders in the 60-70 ties, so that has improved tremendously too. People here will report any abuse easily, as they know action will be taken, if not by the government, then by the local animal rights group activists, whom also keep an eye on what the government does to protect animals.

My favorite rescue, above all the wonderful rescues I saw all over the world, is GuineaPigFun Rescue in San Fransisco.

The closest rescue to me is Critter Corral & that's 6 hrs away :( I was planning on going to the pignic last month but I had to work & I had a very sick pig so ya...didn't work out. Hopefully I'll make it next year though!! I think its great all the functions they have, it really gets awareness out there to the community.

CavySpirit rescue, need I say more?

My favorite rescue, above all the wonderful rescues I saw all over the world, is GuineaPigFun Rescue in San Fransisco.

My Rocky came from GuineaPigFun!

I like Catnap from the Heart in LaGrange,IL. It is close to our house, they have Guinea Pigs in the shelter, and a lot in foster, they encourage bonded pairs, and if you have questions, they are quick to respond! They are also close to the City so easy to get to for Chicagoland residents!

I like Catnap from the Heart in LaGrange,IL. It is close to our house, they have Guinea Pigs in the shelter, and a lot in foster, they encourage bonded pairs, and if you have questions, they are quick to respond! They are also close to the City so easy to get to for Chicagoland residents!

I have seen them on Petfinder.com. They have the most adorable male right now, named Asterix.. He is a beautiful little pig.

I am adopting from the awesome Critter Corral Saturday. I hope to go to their events/pignics too! They sound awesome!

My favorite is 4Lil pigs and buns. Although I guess it's the only one I know :D Well they do look after their animals well. They all have C&C cages and the lady is really nice and knows a lot. H

Amen to Fresian!

If I wasn't at my pig quota, I would love to have him, he is beautiful-I have heard wonderful things about CC as well-just a little far for us. I am hoping to go to the Pignic next summer though! Good luck on your new pigs!

I have seen them on Petfinder.com. They have the most adorable male right now, named Asterix.. He is a beautiful little pig.

I am adopting from the awesome Critter Corral Saturday. I hope to go to their events/pignics too! They sound awesome!

My favorite in my local dog/cat shelter. We don't have small animals, however. I just love how it's so dedicated, and the volunteers and staff love animals. Our shelter doesn't even remotely smell like animal waste, everything is almost automatically cleaned. All of the dogs get blankets and a nice toy, and everyone gets to get out of the kennel for a bit for some outside time. We don't put down animals unless they become aggressive to other animals or if they get a deadly/easily spreading disease. It's over all a nice place to volunteer,visit and adopt from. :]

I discovered Critter Corral in 2001 after one of my guinea pigs died and I went to our local animal control to see if they had any guinea pigs up for adoption. They told me about Critter Corral. I adopted my first guinea pig from them in early 2002 and was so impressed with them, I've been a volunteer since. Critter Corral has saved over 2600 guinea pigs since 1999! Rose is a pro at matching guinea pig to human. She has that magic touch....:)

I discovered Critter Corral in 2001 after one of my guinea pigs died and I went to our local animal control to see if they had any guinea pigs up for adoption. They told me about Critter Corral. I adopted my first guinea pig from them in early 2002 and was so impressed with them, I've been a volunteer since. Critter Corral has saved over 2600 guinea pigs since 1999! Rose is a pro at matching guinea pig to human. She has that magic touch....:)

No lie, I am telling you, she does! She really matched us up.. They are almost identical personalities to ours.. Rose is awesome! LOVE THE CRITTER CORRAL! Hope I get to meet you one day too Pinky!

No lie, I am telling you, she does! She really matched us up.. They are almost identical personalities to ours.. Rose is awesome! LOVE THE CRITTER CORRAL! Hope I get to meet you one day too Pinky!

Rose and her daughter Kris are both wonderful. Those two are devoted to guinea pigs. I hope we can meet sometime, too.

Rose and her daughter Kris are both wonderful. Those two are devoted to guinea pigs. I hope we can meet sometime, too.

Wow, I did not know they were mom and daughter, that is awesome! No wonder they are both so nice, runs in the genes...

Cavy Care, Inc, is the only major guinea pig rescue in the Denver Metro area for...a long time. I could not find the info on exactly how long they have been around, but it's something 10+ years and thousands of pigs. The owner has been through cancer, and has diabetes and Parkinson's and still keeps the shelter going.

They have a huge influx of pigs right now, up to 30 something PER DAY. There is a wish list of stuff to donate on their page. If you are in the Denver area, please think of donating. I could even come pick things up or collect donations to take to them in Aurora.

Cavy Care Inc. Guinea Pig Shelter

Thanks for sharing everyone, it is really neat hearing about all the rescues/shelters and learning about all the different ones. Hopefully this thread will help someone who did not know about them, find one near them and help rescue a pig. Thanks for sharing everyone! I am enjoying reading all your experiences..

Does anybody know of any Guinea Pig shelters or rescues in or around Arkansas? I've been searching online for a few days now and can't find a thing.

Help would be much appreciated. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.