Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Where do I get the best wood pellets from?

smileyface009

Cavy Slave
I have been researching and I have found that wood pellets underneath fleece is one of the best bedding options. It lasts up to 11 weeks! Does anyone know where I can get good quality pellets for a good price? I have been reading that you can get a 40 lb bag for about $6 but I dont know where to get them. Thanks!

I get them at Menard's, which is a home improvement store in the midwest. They only sell them during winter, in the section with wood-burning stoves/fireplaces.

Google the name of your city and "fuel pellets" (leave the quotes around fuel pellets. That'll find you the stove stuff. You'll have to check to make sure there are no accelerants added, and as with all pellets, that they don't smell strongly of pine.

Google the name of your city and "animal bedding pellets" or "horse stall pellets" for the animal bedding. That's more likely to smell of pine but won't have accelerants added.

Places like home improvement stores and some hardware stores carry the stove pellets, as do places that sell pellet fuel stoves. Feed stores carry the bedding pellets.

If you find the fuel store pellets and like them, then get enough to last you through the summer and fall, because they'll disappear from the store as soon as warm weather comes.

I get them at Menard's, which is a home improvement store in the midwest. They only sell them during winter, in the section with wood-burning stoves/fireplaces.
Funny you should mention Menard's ..I just picked some up today! Hahaha on sale for $3.99 for a 40lb bag. Switching my cage today!

Tractor Supply has them too. If you live in Westminster, Md I get mine from Bowmans.

Thank you everyone!

(broken link removed)

Are these pellets ok for bedding with fleece on top?

We have no way of knowing. They sell four kinds of bedding. Which one were you thinking of?

And we have no way to smell them and see whether they have too much pine odor. You need to find local pellets -- shipping is way too high to get pellets any other way than from a local store. If they have no accelerant, and they don't smell of pine, they're ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.