Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding When to start introducing my new pigs??

polarize

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone! I recently got 2 new bonded pigs named Tokyo and Kyoto who are still fairly young. I have one other pig at the moment named Atlas whos about 3 and currently sadly alone. My goal is to have them all together eventually and i know how to go about bonding them but I dont know when to start. Ive only had the new pigs for a couple of days and I wasnt sure if I should let them continue to let them settle in first or if i should slowly start introductions right off the bat and at least let them familirize themselves with each other? I appreciate any help and advice you guys can give :)

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First question. Are all of these pigs male or female, or mixed?

If they are all male, don't waste your time introducing them. Boar trios work out once in a blue moon every 7-10 decades. Basically, they don't. More than likely what you may end up with is 3 solo pigs who won't get along ever again. No one knows why trios don't work, but it's been done six ways from Sunday, including by myself. Seriously, just don't.

If they are all female, the standard quarantine period is usually three weeks. Now if you're absolutely sure of where these new pigs came from, or you can afford the vet bills if all three get sick, then by all means introduce them whenever you have LOTS of time to donate to it. Like an entire day.

If only one is female, again, don't do it. War will ensue.

And if it's one male and two females, obviously the male or females will need to be sterilized.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.