Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

whats wrong with the petstore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Your in PA? There are many cavies needing homes in PA.

Hatboro is only 39 minutes away from you. That's not far at all. They currently have 62 cavies needing homes including four "Skinny Pigs" ( hairless)
(broken link removed) Looking for Love Pet Rescue

Womens Humane Society in Bensalem (25 minutes away) has one sow
(broken link removed)

Paws for Life in Clementon NJ (31 minutes away) gets cavies in.

Have a Heart Guinea Pig Rescue in Florence NJ (about 45 minutes away) has
140 guinea pigs in rescue. Many of which are in Foster homes in PA
(broken link removed)

So please, before you tell us their are no rescues, please do a search!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
i met the breeder that suppliese the store with their rabbits and guinea pigs and he certaintly wasnt one of those big corporation thingshe even went to the store to make sure the piggies were bein taken care of and such but like i said im also interested in a piggy from a shelter. what if i adopted one and bought one .. would that equal it out?

Katie

Cavy Slave
what if i adopted one and bought one .. would that equal it out?
NO! You would be supporting a pet store AND back yard breeder. You didn't go to this breeders home, you didn't see how she keeps the pigs. Anyone that breeds and sells to pet stores is irresponsible. Why are you so set on getting one from a pet store? You will just be part of the problem.

There are 203 wonderful cavies with in driving distance from your home, probably many more since many shelters do not list on Pet Finder. Adopt a pair and help save lives instead of creating more.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
well i dont have room for a pair and i need a male preferably an older one to be with dagawell my mom wont go out of state for a pig like i said idk its a parental type restriction thing. and i just really like that piggy.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
but i do see one i like at a foster home but idk any who thanks for all your answers
... even though some of you guys got a little worked up over it

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
OK...YOU ARE JUST NOT GETTING IT!!! Yes, we are worked up because...YOU ARE NOT GETTING IT!!!

A couple of us have given you the same links and you still say you can't find one in your area. I smell a troll.

Katie

Cavy Slave
well i dont have room for a pair
Then why did you say

what if i adopted one and bought one .. would that equal it out?
my mom wont go out of state for a pig
If you are truely set on rescueing, and your mom knows this, I'm sure a 45 minute drive to another state would be no problem. Have you even contacted the rescue? If you are a good candidate for adoption, they may be able to bring them to you, especially since some are fostered in PA.

Last edited:

Katie

Cavy Slave
A couple of us have given you the same links and you still say you can't find one in your area. I smell a troll.
Me too....
If "going out of state" was a 2-3 hour drive, I could see the parents reasoning, but 45 minutes? 25 minutes from a shelter?

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
yeah if i can drive 2hours 20mins to pick up a guinea pig surely 45mins you could easily do

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

critterlover

Cavy Slave
If your mom doesn't want to drive out of state (although I can't imagine why, you'd have to ask her why) maybe one of your friends' parents who are animal lovers can drive you. If you are persistent, you will either convince your mom to drive out of state or will find someone else you will. Or maybe if you phone one of the shelters and explain your situation, they will have someone there who can help you with transportation.

You should be given some credit for starting this thread. You know it is wrong to buy from a pet store, otherwise you would have done it already. You haven fallen in love with the piggy there and are hoping someone will tell you 'go ahead, buy him, it's ok, the pet store looks after their pets etc.'. Unfortunately, as you will learn in life, sometimes the easy road is not the right road. And you will find that the self-respect that comes from choosing the right road is well worth it.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
my mom works 9 to 5 my dad isnt around between taking care of me the hous and her job she doesnt have time to go out of state. and maybe if you guys read what i was saying. you would know that i did look at the adoption pages and what not. and i am getting it. but if the piggy is going to be bought anyway shouldnt you guys want him to go to a good house. and i did contact someone about a guinea pig in a shelter. and ive adopted before and ive bought piggies before. and i havent heard any of you say what happens to the un-bought piggy? its not like im against adopting or anything. i think adoption is the right thing but you some times have to pay an adoption fee so how is it different from buying a guinea pig. also most of the guinea pigs were unwanted from the petstore. so how is adopting a petstore pig better than buying the pig?

i dont want to get you upset or anything once again im not against adoption. i just want the best possible playmate for dagwell. i llike the one at the pet store because he seems couragous and out goin he might get dagwell to come out of his shell too.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
also i want to thank some of you guys for being curteuous. im sorry i wrote. so how do i close this thing?

TinaFabulous

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you adopted AND bought multiple pigs before, exactly where are all of these pigs?

And your questions have already been answered. Go back and reread the posts.

And you don't get to close this thing. It's a very important issue. You can stop reading this thread if you choose, but it's educational for others as well.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
I still say.....TROLL TROLL TROLL

TinaFabulous

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
my first piggy was named chipper he died because his teeth were meesed up because i let my "big sister" from that program thing hold him i told her how to hold him top but she didn listen and he got dropped and fell on his nose which messed up his teeth but i was lik 10 and didnt think that that fall would have hurt hime. my second guinea pig was duke. he died after i owned him for four yearsi think my adopted pig that i brought home for his playmate brought something home. and the vets said it was parasites and they dipped him in the dippy stuff to kill them twice but i guess the vets didnt diagnose it in time or correctly so he passed on a few months ago. and dagwell my piggy now was adopted and hes siting on my desk as i type this right now. maybe ijust wont get a guinea pig at all
but i have said multiple times i did email a shelter for a guinea pig im interested in but i havent met him or heard back from the person i emailed so maybe its not the right time to get a guinea pig

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
also how am i a troll?

Katie

Cavy Slave
dagwell- 45 minutes out of state isn't long or far at all. Plus, their are some in shelters that ARE in your state. Even some in foster homes. Have your PARENTS contact the rescues/shelters.

he died after i owned him for four yearsi think my adopted pig that i brought home for his playmate brought something home.
What makes you think that?

and the vets said it was parasites and they dipped him in the dippy stuff to kill them twice but i guess the vets didnt diagnose it in time or correctly so he passed on a few months ago.
You need a different vet. Your vet is probably what killed him. Pigs are not suppose to be "dipped" in anything to kill parasites.

maybe ijust wont get a guinea pig at all
Not getting one at all is much better then getting one from a pet store.

and i havent heard any of you say what happens to the un-bought piggy?
What happens?

A. He goes back to the breeder and the breeder gives the pet store another baby.
B. The pet store realizes that guinea pigs are no longer profitable and they stop selling them.
C. The pet store stops selling guinea pigs; the breeder stops breeding them because they can't sell them.
D. He goes to a shelter; the pet store doesn't make money; the breeder doesn't make money.

i think adoption is the right thing but you some times have to pay an adoption fee so how is it different from buying a guinea pig. also most of the guinea pigs were unwanted from the petstore. so how is adopting a petstore pig better than buying the pig?
If you are really 14, this shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.

An adoption fee- A small fee that you give to the rescue/shelter to help cover the housing, feeding and veterinary costs of the pig when it was in their care. By adopting the pig and paying the fee ( which is not profitable in anyway shape or form) it gives the shelter/rescue more room to take in more unwanted pigs.

A sale cost (from a pet store)- The pet store makes any where from a $20- $25 profit. It gives the pet store more money to buy about 4-5 more pigs. It gives the breeder more money to keep breeding.
Buy buying from a pet store you are contributing to the problem. You are causing more animals to die and suffer. Whether directly or indirectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.