Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What's wrong with keeping guinea pigs outside?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs live in cages in my living room and dining room. I don't have a large house but I've managed by making one of my cages into a double-decker to save on room. When I can find more inexpensive grids, I plan to do the same with my other two cages. One of the cages is right next to my computer. The others are visible from the kitchen so they get tons of attention all the time. I can't imagine having a "pet" that's out of sight and doesn't get attention. Why even have a pet?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Ok, this is the last time I'm going to say this... I'm not keeping them outside!!!!

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys you are going to kill me but i have my guinea pigs outside all the time they love playing in the grass having fun they were born outside and they love it there so really if i need help about my guinea pigs needing help dont help me if you think i am wrong but my guinea pigs love being outside but if i do post help help me or if u think i am wrong dont help me but i am leaving my piggies outside if it is raining i will bring them in or it is to cold outside i bring them in

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Ok, this is the last time I'm going to say this... I'm not keeping them outside!!!!

The name of the topic is "What's wrong with keeping guinea pigs outside?" People are just simply answering that question.

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@melissa98 I agree with PigPandomonium. If you look at the whole thread, you'll see that your one question began a debate. No one's attacking you personally; some were saying that there's nothing wrong with it while others (like myself) said it's no place to keep a guinea pig. :)

minto1980

Cavy Slave
About 25 years ago I used to house my Guinea Pigs and my Rabbit outside. Back then scientists and vets didnt have the information like they do these days about the health and care needed for these animals. It was all pellots and water with some veges can be given. Thats all I got told and all the information people really knew or were given to us.

I do agree than indoor is much better than outdoor and they will live more comfortable and I would allways keep a guinea pig inside now I know the ideal climate for them as well as keeping them away from the cold and draughs and other essentials they need to stay healthy and loved.

There is so many things these beautiful animals need to ensure they live long and healthy lives and are cared for correctly. I just wish back then I knew what I do these days.

Also I am from New Zealand and the climate in a city like Auckland is not like where many people here come from where it snows or is extreamly cold. We have quite a good climate all year with summer in the mid 20 degree celcius and winter is down to about 10 degrees celcius in the citys with no frosts.
Its not overly bad to keep them outside here but I would recommend keeping them inside if your out of the citys or in the south.

Last edited:
Merrier
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Very few people are actually allergic to guinea pigs -- they're pretty non-allergenic animals. But lots of people are allergic to hay, and timothy is the worst offender. Have you tried other kinds of hay?

Merrier

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
The only reason why I would consider having my piggies outside is because I might be VERY allergic to them. I have an area in the front porch of my house (about 20 feet by 10 feet wide) that is gated completely, no cats, dogs, or any animal can get in there! and has a roof, I can even lock it so no one can try to steal them. I could place a huge cage out there. The only problem is that where I live it gets EXTREMELY hot, about 110 degrees F in the summer. If I can find a solution to keep them cool, I might place them there but I can't think of anything yet :/

If there is no way you can just deal with the allergies or get some meds for them, and your last resort is to keep them outside, them I think you should really look into the option of rehomeing them. They would have a better life somewhere they can be kept inside and get tons of love and attention, and illnesses can be noticed quicker in a family area, which is another reason why they shouldn't be kept outside. Not even to mention heat stroke.

Also guinea pigs need unlimited hay 24/7 even going without it for 5 days is very bad for them.

Merrier

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I have not given them hay for about 5 days and I still have the symptoms, especially after handling them, so I think its the piggies not the hay.
What about the bedding? Some beddings cause allergies. I recommend switching to fleece if you have not already.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have not given them hay for about 5 days and I still have the symptoms, especially after handling them, so I think its the piggies not the hay.
Pigs NEED hay every day, 24/7 without exception. It helps them keep their teeth filed down, yes, but more importantly it keeps their gut moving and aids in digestion. I can understand why you'd think an elimination procedure would be relevant here, but you can't withhold something that is as important to their diet and well-being as hay. Whatever the issue is, you need to figure it out without withholding items that are basic needs, and if your only solution is to house the guinea pig(s) outside, you should seriously consider rehoming.

Merrier

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi Paula, are you a veterinarian? If not, please don't give me medical advice about my pigs. I talked to THREE different vets who assured me that they'll be absolutely fine without hay for a few weeks. It's not like I'm not gonna give them any type of hay ever again. Thanks.

Who are the three vets who told you that?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
What kind of vets did you talk to? Most vets know nothing about guinea pigs, I've even been told by one vet to feed my guinea pigs yogurt. Just saying that three vets told you it was ok is like saying three random people you met on the street told you it was ok. On the other hand if you are talking about exotic vets who told you this stuff that's another story however most vets know next to nothing about guinea pigs. Even I knew ten times more about guinea pigs than one vet I went to a while ago, I'm sure I could have replaced her, and I'm 15.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Merrier , I'm impressed! You've had a guinea pig for less than six weeks now, and you've already found THREE vets! That must be a record, especially considering that exotic vets are thin on the ground here in Texas. And you must have an unlimited vet fund if you can take a pig that isn't sick to three different vets in just six weeks time.

Many of the people on this forum, especially the moderators and administrators, have years of experience with guinea pigs. If they tell you that a pig needs hay, the pig needs hay. It's not only for the pig's benefit that we're telling you that, but also to protect your pocketbook from very expensive pig dental bills if you let it go too long without hay.

If you post on this forum, it's going to be assumed that you're asking for advice, especially since you're new to guinea pigs.

I suggested to you that you try a different kind of hay. But you stopped giving them hay, and so far as I can tell, didn't bathe the pigs. So they've still got whatever hay you had on them. If you really want to know if you're allergic to the pigs and not the hay, here are some things you can do (more unasked for advice):

1) Buy another kind of hay and sniff it and see if you have allergic symptoms. Or if you're having skin allergies, rub timothy on one arm and the other kind on the other, and see if both react.

2) Clean the cage, wash everything in it, bathe the pigs, and then handle them and see if you've still got symptoms.

Either one of those actions will give you information about your allergies.

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs NEED hay. It makes up 75%-80% of their diet. No I'm not a vet, but as Pig Pandemonium said, most vets aren't overly educated about guinea pigs. I had a vet tell me to add vitamin C to their water.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
As has been stated, guinea pigs need hay. Also, try and follow the advice given, especially if it means a happier life for your piggies *and* you. My husband is highly allergic to Timothy hay, as we discovered, but we combat this with an air purifier, simple meds, and the fact that he loves them as much as I. We went out today and picked up Oxbow orchard grass, and already he seems better. On the note about the vets, they certainly aren't always the best place for advice, considering that the one who handled my Potter before I got him said he should be put down for a treatable abscess. He is a healthy piggy now. Just do what's best for the pigs in the long run, if you love them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hi Paula, are you a veterinarian? If not, please don't give me medical advice about my pigs. I talked to THREE different vets who assured me that they'll be absolutely fine without hay for a few weeks. It's not like I'm not gonna give them any type of hay ever again. Thanks.
My question would be why on earth you'd want animals you don't want or can't have in your home. Guinea pigs are pets, they aren't farm animals, they are companions and if you can't keep them as such, you're doing them, and yourself, a disservice.

And, frankly, I'm also surprised that you were able to find three vets who would tell you to allow a guinea pig to go without hay and have to suspect that they are vets who have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of guinea pigs ... or they're fictitious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.