Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Level of Effort? What's with this "slave" business?

scarlett

Cavy Slave
I'd seen the term "cavy slave" and originally thought "well, that's silly." Now, two weeks after bringing home my boys, I've bought organic greens my refrigerator has never before seen, and ordered hay from Kleenmamas to replace the Kaytee hay I bought at the pet store. I bought not one, but two carrying cases for taking the boys with us on future outings/trips. I'm waiting on a cozy and a soft hay rack. I bought 6 fleece throws on clearance at Kohl's. I find myself scanning items in Target, WalMart, the dollar store, etc. looking for cavy safe items.
Suddenly the term Cavy slave didnt seem so silly anymore. I'm enslaved by these two furry poop machines! LOL.

I know , I'm the same! When I out shopping, without even thinking I do be looking for things for the piggies! lol

It's funny isn't it? I get excited about hay shipments. Hay! lol

I have just as many pictures of my pigs on my desk at work as I do of my son

It's crazy how fast our Piggies become so important in our lives. They are like my children. I'm always trying to find new and better things for their cages. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I honestly think he enjoys them just as much. I always catch him in their room and talking to them. They are the sweetest animal ever. We are all "slaves" to our piggies!:)

Haha, I know. I am the same way.

lol The first presents I bought for Christmas last year were a hammock for Billy's cage and a bendy tunnel for Roy. I love them, I think that my guinea-pigs do so much for me, the least I can do is make sure they have a happy life with lots of presents! :)

I do the same, I spend more money on my piggys then I do for myself, And i have more pics of my piggys then my boyfriend ^.^

I do the same, I spend more money on my piggys then I do for myself

Me too! The piggies get everything when I get paid. I go out for new fabric to make cuddle cups and cozies, find some new toys for them, save every paper towel roll I can find and even ask family members to save theres lol
Yep..we are pig slaves! You just can't resist them, especially when they are wheeking for food.

Even my mother who said "Why would you want that?! Its a rat without a tail Eww gross!" fell prey to this name after she met my "rat without a tail", she saves all of her paper rolls and ships them to me! She even sent the pig a Christmas present (Hay and money for more) before she sent my own! She now even affectionally calls her grandpig by a pet name-- Wheek-Wheek". "Give WheekWheek my love, did you feed my little WheekWheek? How is WheekWheek doing?"

It's nuts how these little things steal your heart- and your green(s)! Hehe.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only 'crazy' one! My mom's always getting on my case when I clean the cage and not my room . . . "You take better care of those rats than you do yourself!" Oh, mom; if you only knew the joy simple guinea pigs bring! I couldn't live without 'em!

she saves all of her paper rolls and ships them to me! She even sent the pig a Christmas present (Hay and money for more) before she sent my own! She now even affectionally calls her grandpig by a pet name-- Wheek-Wheek". "Give WheekWheek my love, did you feed my little WheekWheek? How is WheekWheek doing?"
It's nuts how these little things steal your heart- and your green(s)! Hehe.

My mom does the same thing now, at first she couldn't understand why I got them. Now ever since she pig sat for me while I went away she loves them thanks to there wheeking. She fell into there trap..wheeking and putting on the cute little face when she fed them.
Now everytime she calls me she asks "how are the girls" and she saves her paper towels rolls for them.

I love the slave buisness. I know my pigs birthdays better than I know my parents:shhh:. Everytime I go out, I am always looking for piggie products. I pretty much revolve my day around them, I didn't go to the mall with my friends because the pigs wouldn't be happy with a delayed meal. My friends thought I was a bit insane. Any way I love my boys so much and would do anything for them. They have most of my room and all I have is a bed, dresser and some other clothes storing piece of rurniture. The rest of the room is the cage and just enough room to walk to my bed.:silly:

Boy I wish my mom was like that with her blood grandsons. Sorry my mom is being a big "you know what" lately. I totally love my sons and my piggies and she has NO concept of love for anyone. She never hugged me, cuddled me, was supportive of me or my decisions. But she completely doesnt understand why I dont get rid of my 6 piggies and 2 cats so I can live in a "better" apartment. Sorry I would rather be in a not so great apartment with my 8 pets than live in a better apartment without them. I totally take better care of my boys (guinea and blood) better than I take care of myself. first thing in the morning my kids get fed, then my piggies, I have my coffee and then start cleaning cages and the apartment.

Onetwo, my mother is similar to yours. My childhood lacked affection, nurturing and support as well. When I first said I was getting the pigs she said "What do you need that for? They are gross, you can't cuddle them or kiss them.." (says who? I do it all the time!) But once she met them, she warmed up to them. I hope she does the same with my fiance' Haha

I see I'm in good company! I visited my parents yesterday and took an 8 x 10 photo of the boys. They thought they were just adorable. My dad referred to them as their new grandchildren. I can't wait to take the boys down for their first visit. I'm sure my folks will fall in love when they hear them and see their antics.

I love my piggies. They are my therapy. I always find stuff in stores and think "I wonder if the piggies would like that?"

My pigs are spoiled and very well taken care of thanks to this site and all the people who make it such a great place to come for imformation!

Thank You CavySpirit and to all the Mod's for the great work and information you all provide through your experience. I don't know what my piggies would be living like if it wasn't for all the great people on this forum.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Thank You CavySpirit and to all the Mod's for the great work and information you all provide through your experience. I don't know what my piggies would be living like if it wasn't for all the great people on this forum.

I agree, except that I DO know what my piggies' lives were like before I found this site! And we are all so much happier since discovering GPC.

I learned pretty much everything I know about cavies from here and Guinea Lynx, and I have since started my own small shelter.

❤️

I would go as far as saying that guinea pigs saved my life.
:love:

I would go as far as saying that guinea pigs saved my life.
:love:

I am right there with you on that one Jojojo!!!

As for my mom she now counts Gizzy as one of her Granddaughters! She has a "Proud Granny" scrapbook that I have to update for her every now and then with photos of my nieces and nephews and she brought it over right after I got Gizzy and asked me to update it with some photo's of Gizzy as well. Now when people ask her about her grandkids she tells them in detail:

"Shade is doing fantastic in high school and was chosen for the supreme band
Ethan just started school and is loving every second of it
Claire is not too happy having to go to a pre-school with out her brother
Gizzy is doing great and has finally learned to eat Green Peppers"

I think the fact that not only my mom and family but also ALL OF YOU are so in love with Guinea Pigs has changes my live from a free loving spirit to a GUINEA PIG SLAVE

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.