Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior What to do ?

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
My first guinea pig was the best guinea pig we ever had. She warmed up to us right away and was very loving and affectionate. But after she passed, I couldn't stand the empty cage and it was too weird not to have it there... so we got Aja to try to ease the pain. I was so worried, because Aja was NOTHING like Bugsy. She never wheeked, she stayed in her igloo most of the time... After we moved out of the apartment (which only allowed one piggy), we bought a companion thinking that would be helpful. Well... they were both quiet guineas. They both hid in the same igloo and then Aja would make this shrieking sound when Peri was upsetting her. I tried separating them, but turns out they had bonded and Aja made a pile of things to aid her jumping over the barrier to be with her sister. The shrieking sound? Its the sound baby guineas use to call their mother. She certainly wasn't a baby, but she was calling me to her aid. I have had Aja since August and Peri since January. Aja is finally becoming more vocal (slowly but surely) and is becoming more accustomed to being handled. She still has days when she's in a mood... but I love my girls and I know they love me. It takes time, and it takes effort. Hand feeding veggies is a good way to promote bonding. And they may never get used to being picked up (guinea pigs r prey animals and if something is swooping down from above... it is probably going to eat you. that instinct will always be there). But that doesn't mean they hate you. It just means their survival instincts over ride everything. Give it time. And if you are going to get rid of them, I can't stop you. But I urge you not to take them back to the store. Stores don't treat them very well and don't give customers all the proper info they need. If you should decide not to keep them, please put them up on the adoption forum on this site. That way you can be sure they will be loved and well cared for.
ALEX AND ALEXIS MADE YALL A VIDEO [video=youtube;3yEB3iV1qao]

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
All guinea pigs are different, Your Alexis is like my April she refuses to be picked up or petted. As YourSoJelly said time is your best friend for piggies to get used to you. So don't think that they don't like you. And they are prey animals they feel like you will hurt them. Once they learn you wont, they will let you pet them in the cage and hold them. And try using the towel trick with them, Wrap them in a towel and hold one of them with a treat in hand.lol
ALEX AND ALEXIS MADE YALL A VIDEO[video=youtube;3yEB3iV1qao]

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
AWH. Don't worry, they'll get used to you eventually. When I used to have guinea pigs, and one was really scared and squeaked loudly when i took her away from the other one, so i took them both out and snuggled them up in a towel and put them on my knee. We just watched tele and I spoke to them and they got used to my smell. Stroke them softly and give them treats while they're on your knee :)
ALEX AND ALEXIS MADE YOU A VIDEO, ENJOY[video=youtube;3yEB3iV1qao]

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I love how she was all sneaky from the top to try to get the green bean LOL. Your guinea pigs already have a lot of personality. :)

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
I used to think my pigs hated me,but it wasn't true. It's not the big things,it's the little things. Maple is my most skittish,even though he was my first pig. The home he used to live in had a bunch of rowdy young kids,so that wasn't much good. He's still shy when I pet him and will dart off,but he will hand-feed from me. I can pet Twix and handfeed her and even hold her sometimes. It takes time.
ALEX AND ALEXIS MADE YOU A VIDEO[video=youtube;3yEB3iV1qao]

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
i love how she was all sneaky from the top to try to get the green bean lol. Your guinea pigs already have a lot of personality. :)
lol i know, alexis is sneaky

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
If you want to tag people in a post just put the @ in front of their name. You don't have to post the video multiple times to make sure we all see it. It wont look like they are tagged when you are typing it, but after it is posted we will be :)

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
In all honesty, some guinea pigs never warm up to there owners. Some run for the hills and never trust them.

It takes time to win over their trust. They are prey animals, and it is in every fiber of there being to run for the hills when anything might harm them. Felix, who I've had almost a year, is just starting to warm up to me and calm down.
ALEX AND ALEXIS MADE YOU A VIDEO [video=youtube;3yEB3iV1qao]

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
I love how she was all sneaky from the top to try to get the green bean LOL. Your guinea pigs already have a lot of personality. :)

Ha, they do have a lot of personality! Completely adorable

bubblepig

Cavy Slave
The video won't show up on my computer. :/
Anyway,about the veggie-stealing thing TELL ME ABOUT IT!! Twix had an unexpected litter,and she'll nip you if you give a baby a veggie and not her. They will all try and fight over it,with my finger in the middle! Lol. So,what I do is make seperate piles for them. :)

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
If you want to tag people in a post just put the @ in front of their name. You don't have to post the video multiple times to make sure we all see it. It wont look like they are tagged when you are typing it, but after it is posted we will be :)
okay thanks, i have to get use to this

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
My fiance got out one big piece of lettuce today and expected the girls to share it. I was like they r gonna fight over it, you need to tear it in half or something. He didn't listen. I took a video of the results (its posted to the video f the wheek contest). It was actually really funny and kind of cute. I did stop recording and tear the remaining bit in half so they would stop picking on each other lol

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
The video won't show up on my computer. :/
Anyway,about the veggie-stealing thing TELL ME ABOUT IT!! Twix had an unexpected litter,and she'll nip you if you give a baby a veggie and not her. They will all try and fight over it,with my finger in the middle! Lol. So,what I do is make seperate piles for them. :)
Awwww, i had a dream that my guinea pigs had an unexpected litter.

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
My fiance got out one big piece of lettuce today and expected the girls to share it. I was like they r gonna fight over it, you need to tear it in half or something. He didn't listen. I took a video of the results (its posted to the video f the wheek contest). It was actually really funny and kind of cute. I did stop recording and tear the remaining bit in half so they would stop picking on each other lol
How do i post in the video of the wheek contest

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
I had a nightmare about Peri getting mites/lice. You know you are completely piggy obsessed when you have nightmares that truly upset you about them getting sick O.O

GuineaGal2013

Cavy Slave
@Dandreking22 you post the same way u r posting to this, you just have to go to the contest thread first. I can post the link to the thread if you need me to.

Dandreking22

Cavy Slave
I had a nightmare about Peri getting mites/lice. You know you are completely piggy obsessed when you have nightmares that truly upset you about them getting sick O.O
Haha i know right

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.