Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems What is this black spot?

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
I took my Guinea pig Kallisto to the vet today and they gave me some cream to put on this dark spot on her skin… they didn’t say what it is… they didn’t say anything else should I isolate her from my other Guinea pig? Should I wear gloves to protect myself? She’s breathing rapidly I’m worried :(

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What is the cream? What strength?

I wouldn't isolate her. That just stresses pigs out, and it doesn't look like anything contagious. It would help, though, if you could post a clear, close-up picture.

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
What is the cream? What strength?

I wouldn't isolate her. That just stresses pigs out, and it doesn't look like anything contagious. It would help, though, if you could post a clear, close-up picture.
This is as close as I can get sorry :( she moves alot
Idk the vet wouldn’t say anything and that made me mad because they making me think she’s going to day :( I just got her days ago
And why is she breathing rapidly? Is it because she’s young?
Thank you so much for your time :)

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I can't tell from the picture. Is that a nipple?

Guinea pigs breathe rapidly. The average breathing rate is 80 breaths a minute. But if she's scared or upset, it can be even higher.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
That is absolutely a healthy nipple, no need to put creams on it at all.

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
I can't tell from the picture. Is that a nipple?

Guinea pigs breathe rapidly. The average breathing rate is 80 breaths a minute. But if she's scared or upset, it can be even higher.
yea but she’s breathing very fast… I tried to listen to her if she have wheezing or anything well there is not but even if she’s relaxed and calm she’s still breaths fast :( should I take to the vet again to check if she have upper respiratory infection?
(And I’m so sorry if I’m annoying you :()

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Absent of other symptoms I wouldn't take her back to the vet. Track her weight, the first sign of illness in guinea pigs is often weight loss as they are very good at masking other symptoms.

If she is breathing quickly but isn't coughing, doesn't have discharge around her nose or mouth, and isn't wheezing then I wouldn't be too concerned.

On a side note I would be quite hesitant to return to the vet that gave you cream to put on her nipple. They should have known that it was a perfectly normal part of her anatomy and looked healthy. Even if they know nothing about guinea pigs a nipple is still a nipple no matter what animal it is on and they come in a range of sizes and colours.

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
Absent of other symptoms I wouldn't take her back to the vet. Track her weight, the first sign of illness in guinea pigs is often weight loss as they are very good at masking other symptoms.

If she is breathing quickly but isn't coughing, doesn't have discharge around her nose or mouth, and isn't wheezing then I wouldn't be too concerned.

On a side note I would be quite hesitant to return to the vet that gave you cream to put on her nipple. They should have known that it was a perfectly normal part of her anatomy and looked healthy. Even if they know nothing about guinea pigs a nipple is still a nipple no matter what animal it is on and they come in a range of sizes and colours.
She is indead skinny… i thought maybe because she’s very young… I’ll be taking her to another vet To check on her breathing, her heart etc

Thank you so much for your time :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Find a good exotic vet. A small animal vet is one that treats dogs and cats, not necessarily pocket pets unless they've had additional education in their care.

Unless she's showing signs of a respiratory infection (noisy breathing, sides heaving, nose running), I don't think she needs to go back to a vet. Fast respirations is much more often a sign of fear or anxiety than it is of illness.

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
Find a good exotic vet. A small animal vet is one that treats dogs and cats, not necessarily pocket pets unless they've had additional education in their care.

Unless she's showing signs of a respiratory infection (noisy breathing, sides heaving, nose running), I don't think she needs to go back to a vet. Fast respirations is much more often a sign of fear or anxiety than it is of illness.
Thank you so much for your reply :) it means a lot to me :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.