Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n What is happening to people?

Catayn

Cavy Slave
I decided to post this here because I believe veg*ans will get my point better.
I am sick and disgusted at people. I really am.
I must start saying that I love: nature, animals and my planet...people not so much!

I am already tired of, every single time I say I have piggies or rabbits, people saying: I had a rabbit but then it got sick or old and then we ate it. Or: I had a guinea pig, but it got sick so we left it in the woods. And thinking it's absolutely normal!

A student told me today that she had a rabbit but her dad said it smelled bad so he broke it's neck and killed it.

Another one told me the hamster had some blisters in the mouth so he flushed him down th toilet.

Another one told me he had a guinea pig on his garden, but the neighbor's cat caught it and he wasn't going to spend with the vet so he buried him ALIVE!

When I said Gama was going to have a surgery (before she passed, of course) people were shocked. I even heard: let me cook it and I give you another one. Or: Why are you going to spend with a rabbit?
I said: well, if my kid was sick, would you just give me another one? And they were like "a pet is not a kid" and I was like "For me they are!" and of course, more laughter.
I said: Wouldn't you spend with your dog? And he said: Oh, but a dog is not an animal that you eat. And I was like: Just because you live in Brazil!

But what made me even more mad was me, going to a store do buy hair dye and saying I didn't want any of those she had. She asked why and I said I just use two brands because they don't test on animals and don't contain animals products. And she said: But just because of that?
I was going to let that one pass, but I just couldn't. I just said: Well, let's see. I will make you swallow liters of dye and see you vomit blood until you seizure and die, then you ask me if it is just because of that. I left feeling her eyes trying to burn me with the holy fire.

What has happened to people? Are we that cold and heartless? I mean, I can try to understand (not really) adults like that, but kids and teens? COME ON!
That's why even human life has lost it's value nowadays!
When will mankind look inside and see how rotten we are?
That is it! I have had it with people. I have had enough with being nice when people invite me for a barbecue and laugh saying: Oh, you can't eat meat, yeah?.
I CAN eat whatever I want. I can eat glass if I want to, but that does not mean I should!
Oh, but try to say you don't eat eggs, butter, honey and everything else. They will almost have a heart attack.
From now on, I am not gonna be nice anymore. I am gonna say what I know about the way animals are treated to whomever has ears around me. And if people don't want to listen, I will scream it if I have to. You can choose to do whatever you want with your primitive lifestyle, but don't pretend it's normal or that you are right!

I just had to let it out because it was killing me!
Does anyone else feel this way too or have I just gone permanently insane?

MaryGoodnight

Cavy Slave
Amen.

A small animal vet let one of my rats bleed to death because she was "miscarrying" never mind that I came in for an emergency spay because rats don't miscarry like that.

Another one said he wouldn't give my rat pain meds for her spay because "they are too small to feel anything". When I left, rat unspayed I wonder how he would feel if his sex organs were removed without pain killers. When I was grieving the diagnosis that my first rat was dying of cancer he said "really? It's a rat. They get cancer. That's why labs use them".

I had another vet (I feel like I trained her one ethical treatment of small animals) laugh because I called her in the middle of the night because one of my rats got in a scuffle needed stitches. However she is now in charge of small animal spays and unlike the jerk above (who works in the same office) she makes pain killers mandatory.

Edited: I hit the wrong button and submitted this mid sentence.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
No pain killers? That is outrageus!
Has the word LIFE lost its meaning at all?

Last night there was a bug in my classroom (don't know what it was) and I turned around to get a paper to lift it and put in the garden, to find my student pulling its legs! I got very mad and asked him what he did that for and he said it was just a bug. I had to say that a life is a life and period. No lives will be taken where I stand.
More laughter...

natashia

Cavy Slave
I am already tired of, every single time I say I have piggies or rabbits, people saying: I had a rabbit but then it got sick or old and then we ate it. Or: I had a guinea pig, but it got sick so we left it in the woods. And thinking it's absolutely normal!

A student told me today that she had a rabbit but her dad said it smelled bad so he broke it's neck and killed it.

Another one told me the hamster had some blisters in the mouth so he flushed him down th toilet.

Another one told me he had a guinea pig on his garden, but the neighbor's cat caught it and he wasn't going to spend with the vet so he buried him ALIVE!

I can't believe that's true! That's awful! My god, that wouldn't have gone down well with me if i'd been there, I'm quite sensitive.

I don't really understand people who could be so cruel like that, when I was a kid my parents were always very caring, and we only ever had pets that we could take care of (e.g we didn't get a dog when my mum quit nightshift because it would be cruel to leave it at home all day when everyone was at work) and they always taught me to be compassionate and never hurt animals.

I remember a friend saying when she was little she used to pull the legs off daddy long legs (not sure what they are in america? theyre very thin spiders with long legs) and I was horrified and she couldn't understand why! It just seems to me thats how serial killers probably start! It seems very unnerving behavior.

When I was little I used to sleep with 30 teddies because I didn't want them to be lonely, and I would never leave one by itself and had to put them in groups so they always had someone to talk too.

However, I'm not a vegetarian so I can't comment on the meat eating issue, I don't wish to voice my views, but I do think that you shouldn't tolerate people being making jibes at you like that, if you're a vegan it's your own personal choice and people should respect that. You don't have to be mean, I think you should just say that they should respect your views, if you were religious they wouldn't ask you why. Beliefs are beliefs.

MaryGoodnight

Cavy Slave
Last night there was a bug in my classroom (don't know what it was) and I turned around to get a paper to lift it and put in the garden, to find my student pulling its legs! I got very mad and asked him what he did that for and he said it was just a bug. I had to say that a life is a life and period. No lives will be taken where I stand.
More laughter...

I teach fifth grade religious ed. We just finished a lesson on Peace and Justice we spent a lot of time talking about animal welfare and St. Francis and how he loved ALL of God's creatures from wolves to bugs. I hope this will help them be more compassionate, if I saw one of my kids being mean to a bug you can bet they'd be writing an essay on why that bug is one of God's creatures and hurting it is wrong. Although there response to me being vegetarian was "that sucks". Ironically for it being religious ed I can't preach on the evils of the meat industry or someone's parent would be calling me.

piggy2470

Cavy Slave
It just angers me so much!>( I don't know how people could do things like that. I've heard some crazy things, but nothing like this...:weepy:

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Oh, parents call me all the time.
I personally see no connection between religion and being vegan. I kind of made my own religious assumptions, but those I prefer to keep for myself.

When people say "it's just a bug" I keep thinking it's just like when people borrow one of my pens in the classroom and never give it back, because it's just a pen. Which is no different from shoplifting as I see it. Just because it is small it does not mean it is not important.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Just because it is small it does not mean it is not important.

I think that sums it all up, Catayn! Good for you and Mary for teaching children lessons in compassion that parents are obviously neglecting. The things you describe make me exceedingly angry too. Unfortunately I am wondering if our modern "disposable" attitude has now been extended to pets. If it breaks, get a new one. If it's "damaged", return it or toss it in the garbage. It's sickening.

Shurrim

Cavy Slave
I'm not vegan but I understand your pain. Every life should be care for.
Not vegan but I very rarely eat meat.
Men are losing their humanity and that will cause what we call the end of the world.
I have a very good vet. When I had to put my cat down, he was even crying. His colleague is allergic at a very high degree, she just take meds and works shorter shifts.
I only want people like this around me now. Only those who care. And I try to get others to listen, to care.. whatever!
If we stand and never give up maybe we'll be able to do something. I try to make the world what I would like it to be. By every little thing I can do. By loving and caring. By sharing and helping. But how is it hard some day!
People get so egoist! I dont know how to stop it. But are we less and less people to care?
I'm afraid when I watch the younger generation.

Catayn

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I feel a little better knowing I am not the olny one thinking the world has gone way off track.

ojars

Cavy Slave
What cavalier attitudes to Nature's bounty! Our animal friends live with us on this planet and are as deserving of respect and admiration as any of us higher mammals. If a companion animal has to be put down, it is our responsibility to do so in as humane a manner as is possible.

PchanNDpikatchu

Cavy Slave

My word... I would have gone ballistic.
These people make me so angry! :mad:
I think I have lost faith in humanity... It is nice to know some people in this world care about there piggies and all other creatures in this world.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
A girl I work with has a lot of animals and her landlords don't understand why she spends so much money to care for them and take them to the vet even if it's a lizard.
Their sons found a chi x and my co worker helps care for her. One time they had a bunch of children over and the tiny dog got a hold of chocolate and my co worker told them if she didn't go to the vet she would die. They said they wouldn't spend that much money on her she was just a dog and to let her die. My co worker took her to the vet. When she moves she's going to take the dog with her. These people have gone through a lot of animals.

boarmommy

Cavy Slave
I totally understand how you feel!!! Unfortunately this is the world we live in :( with I am not saying that we should accept it, quite the opposite! I understand that the pain that all these causes you makes you angry. I feel the same way rather often. Recently here in Norway, discovered that the conditions in fur- farms were inhumane which shocked all Norwegians alike since this is a society which is very much ahead in humane treatment of animals when I saw the images from these farms I felt sick to my stomach and bursted into tears. But it's very important that you don't let the anger take over because it doesn't do any good in the long run. Most people are ignorant and simply don't know any better I am not trying to justify the actions at all but sadly it is the way it is. Instead of becoming inpatient and getting upset (believe me I know how incredibly hard it is) try to instead educate the people around you and do whatever you can to help animals in need. Even if it's just donating money for a cause, or just find something that you really want to change. One person is enough to begin the chain of change. Think instead how fortunate you are you have such empathy and respect for all beings, you are able to love and appreciate life and that is such a gift. For each person that learns, that makes a change we are a step closer. I know how frustrating can be to be ridicule for your believes but you have to raise above it and use all your energy in something positive. It seems hopeless sometimes to feel that you have to take on the world on your own but believe me there is people like you out there and you are not alone in how you feel. Humanity is unfortunately quite behind. I recommend you to go to YouTube and search for an interview of Eckhart Tolle called "what is my responsibility?" the video lasts about 9 min but it's very worth it. He talks about how once we have become aware of ourselves and life we become responsible for our actions, for instance the reason why you became vegan it's because you realize the pain of the animals had to go through, but also he talks about how the people that go through life without being conscious of their actions still suffers the consecuences. It's very beautiful and truly makes you think. I hope that my words may be a little comfort and that you know you are not alone feeling this. Kind hugs from Norway <3

fridzalone

Cavy Slave
I'm totally understand how you feel. I'm just started become a vegetarian a year ago, and I'm feel happy for doing it. However, I haven't come to the point where I feel angry by seeing people eating meat, but I do feel sad because I know how they made those animal into food, even I know the conditions in Indonesia are not as bad as where you live.

And I feel terrible for the facts if there are lots of people in here who breed animals and still think if they love their animals. And I do believe if they really love their animals, I mean who doesn't if even during evacuation of Mt. Merapi eruption, they keep coming back everyday to their village to check their animals in the farm. But what they did is just wrong, why not just open the farm and let the animals run for their lives. Why still kept them in the closed farm and risk their lives.

I also feel very mad for the people who think if they love their pets, but also putting risks to their pets by try giving everything to their pets and hope they'll find a better treatment for their pets. Don't they realize that they only putting their pets in danger?

Another story...
I'm giving advice on one Indonesian forum site that one of the thread is discussing about guinea pig as a pet. I'm trying to give advice as close as the standard treatments that I learn from here and guinealynx. One of my online friend (who already joined the thread long enough to know the do and don'ts) told me if he using again Clear Shampoo (it's HUMAN dandruff shampoo), and dettol shampoo to his piggy. And he claimed that he tried to change to puppy shampoo but it smells terrible and his piggy had hairloss so he decided to change it to human shampoo again. I told him if it's not safe and if he only use his piggy as an experimental object again and again. He said "I don't trust what people say, even a professor could be wrong". I tried to convinced him so hard, but he still not believe me by saying if even human makes error. I was feeling hopeless until I only say "Okay, if you still believe in that, just give me some research, theory, whatever that you're using as a references that say if human shampoo is better than puppy shampoo". And I couldn't believe what he said : "I'm not using any references". And I tried to convinced him once again by saying "Okay, just give us information about the brand of the puppy shampoo, because we should be aware of that shampoo". He replied me "I'm not gonna tell the brand until I can prove if that puppy shampoo is the cause". For God sakes, it's a living thing!
I was so mad and saying "if you can't give any proof, then it's very acceptable if some people in here are thinking if there is no reason to trust what you say". He was so mad and replied if I'm such a manipulating and provocator person who wants people to follow what I said. And he said if the thread are not a good thread anymore because no one in there can speak up their minds because of me. And I was like "what? how could someone speak up their minds about how to putting risks in their pets in the name of love on a pet lover thread?!"

katebkate

Cavy Slave
People are ridiculous. I'm not a vegetarian (but I think I will become one pretty soon. It's mainly chicken I've got to cut out. I don't like many meats besides chicken. But that vegetarian lasagne my mother made once mmmm. I love vegetarian dishes. oh and I live with my grandparents, and parents, with one kitchen. It's kind of annoying to cook 3 meals, but the grandparents are moving soon)anyway, as I said, I'm not a vegetarian. But I don't flush hamsters down the toilets. or eat my animals. My mum brought up an idea of raising out own meat animals. I laughed at her and we agreed she would get attached. Actually I think she's thinking about being veg. to.  Once I heard this annoying kid in my class laughing about how he caught a wild bird (a pest, that eats other birds eggs, but still) and hit it's head against a pole. Why was it so funny? because it took forever to die, keeped crying, and he kept hitting it. needless to say, I don't talk to him much. But the fact that people can be so relaxed about their pets dieing and being in pain worries me...

ChangeOfPace

Cavy Slave
I have to say I am totally on your guys side. I am constantly hearing about how people treat there animals around me. They dont seem to understand that animals cant talk so we are there voice. I recently did a project in my government class. I had to ask twenty people questions about animal rights. Well over half of them said that animals should have no rights. I was just about outraged. No to mention my best friend was constantly making comments to me about how people dont care.It just out rages me that my friends constantly make comments when I saw I believe in animal rights or want use anything tested on animals. I had one person tell me "Yanno I saw a dog testing out your dance team uniform" I flipped. I honestly dont understand people. Much love your way

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
People are ridiculous. I'm not a vegetarian (but I think I will become one pretty soon. It's mainly chicken I've got to cut out. I don't like many meats besides chicken. But that vegetarian lasagne my mother made once mmmm. I love vegetarian dishes. oh and I live with my grandparents, and parents, with one kitchen. It's kind of annoying to cook 3 meals, but the grandparents are moving soon)anyway, as I said, I'm not a vegetarian. But I don't flush hamsters down the toilets. or eat my animals. My mum brought up an idea of raising out own meat animals. I laughed at her and we agreed she would get attached. Actually I think she's thinking about being veg. to.  Once I heard this annoying kid in my class laughing about how he caught a wild bird (a pest, that eats other birds eggs, but still) and hit it's head against a pole. Why was it so funny? because it took forever to die, keeped crying, and he kept hitting it. needless to say, I don't talk to him much. But the fact that people can be so relaxed about their pets dieing and being in pain worries me...
Report that little brat for animal cruelty. Observe how he laughs when his parents find out about the fine they have to pay.

MaddysCavys

Cavy Slave
I am a teen, & I am NOT like "oh, that animal is only like 6 inches big! It's not important!" I care for animals WAY more than people. I literally hate humans. We are selfish, & only take. We can never give back! & when we do it's way less than half of what we have taken, I cry when i hear stories like that ): Why can't people just GROW UP?! I killed an ant once because it was in my bathroom, then after I did. . I cried because I had this guilty feeling ):
My guinea pigs are my life & I always yell at friends or family when they laugh cause I care so much for them, or when they say "BBQ tonight! Your guinea pigs are going to be tasty!" Or when my mom is like "those filthy rodents!"
I always defend my babies. Unless you actually have your own little furry babies, no one truly understands, & It's pitiful.
I even got in a big fight with one of my friends about this, He Said "31 days of being a vegetarian, I'm done, I don't see the point" So then I explained why people are & he's saying that they are going to be killed anyway so it doesn't matter & stuff, but it's soooo mean! Me & him are not friends anymore. He said humans rule the earth & we are at the top of the food chain. . .
I despise that boy. We are NOT friends!>(

SAVE THE ANIMALS.

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I decided to post this here because I believe veg*ans will get my point better.quote] I'd like you to know that it find your statement a little hurtful, just because I'm not vegan doesn't mean I understand you any less than one.  I do eat meat, I am also very aware of where it comes from and how it is processed (for e.g. growing up in Africa our 4th grade field trip was to a chicken farm and we were shown the WHOLE process - free range where I'm from - goat farm in 5th grade etc).  My first guinea pig was one we found in a state park and he has become my everything. Not a day goes by that I do not look at his little face and think of the people who left him in the rain, for the coyotes. There was NO reason for that. The humane society is but 5 miles from the spot where I found him, and there is a cavvy rescue 15 miles away and both accept surrenders. It makes me very sad to think about the life he probably had before. I do understand how you feel... please don't make it sound like people who eat meat are probably all for wringing an animal's neck.  

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.