Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What do you use? Sewing Machines

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
So Jo Ann Fabrics is having a huge sale on sewing machines right now so we thought that we may look into getting one. Of course there are tons of options. I would love to know what you use and how you like is so that it may give me an idea on what one I may be looking for since I know very little about them.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
I have and still use a 100+ yr old singer that was my Grandmothers that will sew through leather, but we also have a newer Kennmore and a Singer that are withing 10 yrs old. But this one seems to stick out to me as far as price and durability go: (broken link removed)

monkeynthechimp

Cavy Slave
I have a brother sewing machine that I got from target on sale a couple of years ago. It was very inexpensive and let me tell you it has sew miles of fabric and I haven't had a problem! It sews through two layers of fleece and a uhaul layer with no problems... I sew a lot... Kids clothes, toys, piggie stuff, clothes for Myself, dog jackets all sorts of things and as long as yOu replace the needle when it gets blunt it sews through most stuff!
I get freaked out by all the dials and stuff on the complicated fancy machines! Hahaha as long as I have a straight stitch a good ole zigzag and a button hole I'm happy! :)

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Awesome thank you everyone :) I will look into those.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I recently got this (well hubby bought it for me): (broken link removed)

I was using: (broken link removed)

I was not happy with it. After a year and one servicing, it was always acting up on me. I know I've used it A LOT in that year but still. I bought it at walmart for $180.

My advice is go on Amazon after you picked the one(s) you want. Read the reviews (good and bad).

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I have a Babylock that I bought when I was 17, making it 21 years old. I also have a Singer that I bought about eight years ago as well as my mom's Brother, which is probably about 10 years old. (I sound like a sewing machine hoarder, but it's always nice to have a backup). They all work great. I don't know what specific models they are, but my two were budget models -- neither was more than $200. If you maintain it well, a sewing machine really should last you a lifetime (barring any issues with the model itself).

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I bought a Brother CS6000i about 3 months ago and I've used it every other day. Sewing two layers of fleece and a uhual pad. It does move a bit but not enough to bother me and don't let it bunch up too bad otherwise the machine will have some difficulties. Otherwise it works like a dream and very affordable.

texasreb

Cavy Slave
I have a Juki long arm quilting/sewing machine:
(broken link removed)(broken link removed)

I also have a Singer Scholastic machine that I don't like very well--hence the reason I got mad and went out and impulse bought the Juki--which I adore.

Lilathandra

Cavy Slave
Awesome thank you so much everyone. :) @CanadianComforts Thats what I normally do but I was hoping to get some advice first hand from the exact people that are sewing the same things that I will be. Everyone's advice is so appreciated!

Thank you ❤️

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.