Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size What cage and what size should I get for my Guinea Pigs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!! I have a question for all of you guy's. What type of cage and what size should it be?? I am getting 2-3 Guinea pigs if I get a 4.0 on my first progress card!! If you guys have an idea then please tell me and if it's on a website then post the website with whatever you say/post please!! Thank you!!!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that if you get boars, you should go up at least one cage size than what it says is okay on the chart in the link BestGuineaPigs posted, as it goes by sow cage sizes.

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer
Keep in mind that if you get boars, you should go up at least one cage size than what it says is okay on the chart in the link BestGuineaPigs posted, as it goes by sow cage sizes.

I know that and yes I might be getting 2-3 BOY guinea pigs if I get a 4.0!! Now what cage should I get?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
Totally a C&C Cage! The pet store cages are way too small and overpriced!

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you read the link that BestGuineaPigs gave you? It has the recommended size cage for the number of pigs you right at the very top -- you can't miss it. But remember that bigger is always better with boars, and even though the there is a recommended size, I'd go for a larger cage than that.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I know that and yes I might be getting 2-3 BOY guinea pigs if I get a 4.0!! Now what cage should I get?

I have 2 males in a 2x5 and they get along pretty well most of the time.
If I'm not mistaken, @lissie used to have 3 boars in a 2x7 though I don't know the details of how well they got along.
I would say do the biggest cage you can. I've heard that wider cages are usually better in helping boars get along, though I'm not sure how accurate that is. If someone else would like to weigh in on that feel free. :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I used to have 3 boys in a 2x6, changed to 2x7, changed to 2x8, and 3x5. They have gotten along well in all those cages, but one of them always gets chased by the others. When I got the 4th pig, I've splitted them up into 2 pairs. 2x7 cage for each pair. It seems to be working better for them.

If you're new to pigs, I would recommend to start with only two. Three boars could be a challenge. From some of the threads I've read on here, some people have to split all their boars up. If you ended up with 3 lone boars, you'll need to make sure you have enough space for all the cages.

With two pigs, if they don't get along, it would be easier to split the cage.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
Being new to pigs, it might be worth considering to start off with a pair of sows. Males are more territorial, a bit smellier, typically more aggressive, and in general more work. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get boars! But if you do, just make sure you know what's in store. Good luck!

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
It's rare for boars to get along well in groups over 2-3 in the long run. I would advice you to adopt a well bonded pair regardless of gender & make the cage as large as possible (especially if you adopt boars).

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer
Thank you guys but I need more information from you guys and from other people if that's OK!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, @LilyPigs, you don't need any more information. Your question has been answered several times, and you've been pointed to the page with the recommended size cages. You should just take the responsibility for making a decision and go ahead with whatever you're going to do.

The forum isn't a social gathering for you to keep posting and responding once the information has been given. It's a place for people to ask for and give information, and once the information has been given, there's no point in continuing to string out the discussion. If you continue with the needless posts, people will get tired of your threads and stop responding, and then you will​ need more information than you're getting. So do you part here and take the information that's been given to you and do something with it.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Being new to pigs, it might be worth considering to start off with a pair of sows. Males are more territorial, a bit smellier, typically more aggressive, and in general more work. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get boars! But if you do, just make sure you know what's in store. Good luck!

LOL I know that for truth lol, I started off with two boys! xD

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
If your wondering where to get the supplies from, you can get it at Fred Meyer, Walmart, or Bed Bath and Beyond!

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer

welshman

Cavy Slave
I am taking it you are from the States? I am not sure how much these C and C cages are to make, but I made a big cage for my 2 boys by lining strips of timer with a plastic underlay (for the sides) and then use more of the thick plastic underlay for the floor. The sides were then finished off with some wire mesh. It takes maybe 2 minutes to clean out when you use towels and fleece as bedding and I found it really fun to make. My pair love it. It's about 100cm x150cm...I'm just in the middle of building a new one. With the right materials it should cost you less than £50 to make one 200cm x 120cm if you look around. If you want me to send you some pics to give you an idea let me know.

LilyPigs

Cavy Gazer
I am taking it you are from the States? I am not sure how much these C and C cages are to make, but I made a big cage for my 2 boys by lining strips of timer with a plastic underlay (for the sides) and then use more of the thick plastic underlay for the floor. The sides were then finished off with some wire mesh. It takes maybe 2 minutes to clean out when you use towels and fleece as bedding and I found it really fun to make. My pair love it. It's about 100cm x150cm...I'm just in the middle of building a new one. With the right materials it should cost you less than £50 to make one 200cm x 120cm if you look around. If you want me to send you some pics to give you an idea let me know.

OK!!! Thank you! Some other people can still post stuff. Feel free!! Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.