Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Werewolf skinny pig scratch treatment

Gabs1701

Cavy Gazer
Hello!
I just got a new werewolf skinny pig as a companion for my piggy whose sister recently died. She is so cute! However, when I got her, she had several scratches and scabs on her back, supposedly from the other pigs she was with. How do I treat this? What is best for her? I am working on taming her and she is pretty skittish, as she is only a couple months old. Thank you so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think skinnies need to have their skin oiled, particularly if the humidity is low. Cold pressed virgin coconut oil has healing properties, and would probably fill the fill just fine.

When you trim the nails of the other pig, and the skinny's back nails, use something like an emery board to smooth out the rough edges. That should help prevent more scratches.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
When you trim the nails of the other pig, and the skinny's back nails, use something like an emery board to smooth out the rough edges. That should help prevent more scratches.

I take a slightly different approach. I use a Dremel with a diamond bit for people nails and also use it for my cavies. One needs to hold each toe individually and lightly smooth the rough edges. I then often apply a tiny dab of quick-drying clear nail polish to further eliminate rough edges. My husband teases me about giving the boys a manicure, but both of us really appreciate greatly reducing the scratches on chest, arms and hands.

Gabs1701

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much, I believe I have both of those things on hand! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.