Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We have two new boys, Steve and Tony

Alexandrina

Cavy Slave
Hello!

We adopted Steve and Tony (or Cap and Iron Man, depending on the mood) last week from the shelter. They are about 3 months old and came in with their mother, then had to be treated for ringworm. They were fully recovered before we brought them home, fortunately. They weren't handled as much as they probably should have been, obviously, and had to be separated due to space while at the shelter, so they're still working themselves out. They spent the first week in separate pet-store cages right next to each other (it was ADORABLE watching them stand at the bars and chat) because like so many I was badly informed at the pet store, and the one cage I bought was TOO SMALL, ugh. We went ahead and ordered a c&c cage with a cover because finding the supplies was proving difficult.

They're driving me a little nuts with the posturing now that we've moved them together into their new home but they are mostly popping all over and talking and chasing all the news toys. I've read through a ton of threads about their behavior and am pretty comfortable that they're just sorting themselves out.

They're still really freaked out about being picked up and held, although Cap is almost inclined to eat hay from my hand and today was very clearly alerting me that his hay ran out, and then popping around while I filled his manger. We gave them each a baby carrot while we held them today before putting them into the new cage and they both ate them gladly from our hands, so that was a HUGE win. But mostly once we've got a hold of them they are pretty chill about being held, even with my kids (4&5). Tony is obviously the most uncomfortable, and does the most bullying behaviors, so I think he might just be a bit cantankerous. I guess time will tell if he ever likes to be cuddled.

Anyway, that's us. If you have any suggestions for how we can help them get comfortable easier I'd love to hear them. :)

MAndPAreMyPigs

Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome to the forum! Love your piggie's names and we would love to see pigtures!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.