Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Want to add a bonded pair to an existing bonded pair

rbungay

Cavy Slave
We have to 18 month old bonded boars. We would like to add another bonded pair. We are thinking that getting two bonded babies would be the way to go as they would not be threatening. Not sure though - are the 18 month olds old enough to accept babies or would it be better to add two adolescent boars. Other option is to wait. Not sure what to do. Cage is C&C 2x6 so lots of space.

Thanks

alfonzpig

Cavy Slave
I think your 18 month old boys are old enough to accept babies. Alfonz accepted a baby when he was only 9 months old, and he still adores Marbles still after passing a year

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I think you should be okay, just be prepared in case things don't work out. You may end up having to keep them in separate cages.
Also, a 2x6 may be a little on the small side for 4 pigs. It is the accepted minimum but they may need more space to get away from each other. Even if you could just add a loft as a little extra room for them.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
The minimum for TWO boars is a 2x5. I'd say a 2x6 is definitely not enough room for four boars.
I have bonded pairs and they can still get snippy in a 2x5.
Also sometimes adding more can cause issues between the original pair.

From my boar experience, I wouldn't even risk it. I'd hate to have the original boars fight and bicker because of the new guys.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x6 is not lots of space for boars. It's the preferred size on the main page, but anybody who has a herd of boars will tell you it's not large enough.

Also, you may put the two pairs together and wind up with four pigs who all refuse to live with any other pig in the group. So instead of one cage, you'll need four. Trying to bond them may work, but it may not, and you have to be prepared for all eventualities. If you don't have a way to cope with their individual decisions about who's going to get along with whom, then I'd let them be as they are.

Trying to add even one pig to a bonded pair is an iffy situation, much less two. And it's iffier still when you're talking about young boars.

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
My bonded pair gets snippy in a 3x4 with a 2x2 kitchen area. They need a lot of space!

And just to rehash what bpatters said: You need to be prepared for them not getting along - it's a real possibility. My first pair of boars started fighting (biting and bleeding!) when I placed a new pair of boars in the cage directly next to them. They ALL started rumbling and chattering at each other, and while the second pair calmed down and still lives together, the initial pair still can't get along and they had been together since birth! Adding new boars can really disrupt the original dynamic. Be prepared.

rbungay

Cavy Slave
Well, all piggies are living together now and getting along great. We used teamwork to accomplish the change - Two of us played the dating game on the couch while the other two cleaned the cage and everything in it with vinegar. The dating game went well with all the expected behaviour. Before we put them all back in the cage, we joined the original 6x2 (16 square feet) with the 3x2 extension I made for a total of 24.5 square feet. Everything was rearranged then we let them loose in the cage. The little ones completely tired out the big ones - I never saw them lay down and relax their eyes so much. After about six hours, they settled down quite a bit with no violence and a re-established the social order. Now after a few more days, its just like they've always been together. The little ones seem to be unafraid and they cuddle in the huts with each other or the big ones. Lots of running around and exercise for everyone - more than before. On the first day we were ready for a group bath in case things didn't go well but it wasn't needed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.