Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Walk your dog 3 times a day -- or be fined

Access

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
A dew claw is the claw some dogs are born with that can be found about two inches from their regular claw, on the inside of their legs. It sort of looks like a high-up thumb.
Are they due to a genetic defect (inbreeding or overbreeding) or do all dogs of a certain type have them?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Learn something new everyday. I've never had a dog. Actually before I moved out of my mother's place the only pet I had ever owned was a very sleepy kitty. I always wanted a small animal as a child. I knew I'd love them so much. Now I have 3 piggies and 2 kitties :)

laura220

Cavy Slave
No genetic defect, it's normal. I thought all dogs had it, mine do. My two dogs have yet to get their dew claws caught. If you do decide to cut the dew claws shorter remember there's still a quick, be careful.

Sadly yesturday my dogs got into a fight which was quickly broken up but one of them needs stitchs and can't walk. No, it wasn't his dew claw just a big gash and two puncture wounds. We can only get him to the vet tomorrow. When I got him out to pee he fell right over when he tried to pick up his leg. :(

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I not sure how reliable this info is, but I heard that puppies sometimes have their dew claws removed soon after birth without anesthetic because there are not yet any nerves in this area, so they do not feel anything.

When my dog had hers removed she ahd to be put under anesthetics and it required 3 stitches. I don't think it was all that painful for her, but the anesthetic make her sick and she wasn't herself for a few days, However, 3 days later, she had riped out all of her stitches and was running aorund like normal again.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Many years ago I worked for a Veterinarian Hospital. I witnessed one of the doctors removing a litter of rottweiler puppies' dew claws and tails without anesthesia or pain killers of any kind.

The puppies were SCREAMING!

There is no doubt in my mind that they had nerve's in their dew claws and tails and were in great pain.

For anyone that wonders...I did report this Vet clinic to the proper authorities after I collected more evidence of other cruelties being commited.

happie gurl

Cavy Slave
That is good to see that people are starting to care more about nimal abuse...but i think that 3 times a day, or a fine is a little overboard.
Cause' I love my dog to death, but I only take him for a 30 minute walk once a day!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I think by "walk" they mean getting the dog out to urinate/defecate. I don't think they are talking about a long walk 3xs a day.

Maybe I'm wrong but the more I think about it the more I figure that thay don't mean "walk" literally.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Why do some dogs have such problems with their dew claws? I have had my dog for ten years and he has never had a problem with his dew claws. We monitor them to make sure they don't get too long, but we do that with all of his nails.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
Many years ago I worked for a Veterinarian Hospital. I witnessed one of the doctors removing a litter of rottweiler puppies' dew claws and tails without anesthesia or pain killers of any kind.

The puppies were SCREAMING!

There is no doubt in my mind that they had nerve's in their dew claws and tails and were in great pain.

For anyone that wonders...I did report this Vet clinic to the proper authorities after I collected more evidence of other cruelties being commited.

That sounds horrifying! What happened to the Vet Hospital?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
That sounds horrifying! What happened to the Vet Hospital?

Because this was a long time ago before animal abuse laws were enforced (or even in existance) I don't think much happened at all.

I'm not certain what happened because I quit my job at the same time I reported them. I tried to get information but the SPCA, Humane Society and police were unwilling to provide me with any. I was never called as a witness or interviewed beyond my original complaint.

I do know that this Vet Clinic is still in practice in the Suburbs of Chicago.

Because of this personal experiance, my experiance rescuing animals, acting unofficially undercover to bust dog fight rings and the other things I do maybe people can understand a little bit better why I get so harsh about stricter laws to protect animals.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I am not sure why some dogs have problems with their dew claws and others don't. It could just be like how some people have to get their tonsils out and others don't. Dew claws really aren't necessary for anything and I haven;t noticed any difference in my dog since we had one of her's removed (except she is no longer in pain). I always got her nails cut once a month, so they were never overgrown, so I am not to sure why it was so weak.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
My dog actually uses them to scratch his face occasionally; he is part golden retriever(they are prone to allergies) and he gets "hot spots" that he scratches. I wonder how wolves keep their dew claws filed down? Do they even have dew claws?

suzy_99 said:
. Dew claws really aren't necessary for anything

laura220

Cavy Slave
I'd get my dogs dew claws removed only if needed, so far we haven't had any problems. Yes, puppies do feel it if the claws are removed without an anestetic but that's just evil.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I have 2 bigger dogs that play outside most of the time and I have never cut any of their claws once and they are 10 years old. They wear them down naturally by running in the woods and on the ground and stuff. Their dew claws also get worn down this way, so I'm assuming its the same thing with wolves and coyotes (if they have any).

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
May I ask the name of this place, Voodoo? I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I want to make sure I never bring any of my pets there.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I can't recall what it's called right now and don't want to get the name wrong, but it's in Downers Grove at the corner of 63rd and Main St.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Alright, thanks. I'll try to stay clear of that place. I absolutely can;t imagine a veterinarian being that inhumane to an animal.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
That's just one of the cruelties I witnessed there. Sadly the list goes on.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Did you know they used to circumcize babies without any pain killers because supposedly they were too young to feel the pain? That's pure craziness. After seeing a video clip on how to care for a circumcized baby, there was no way I was going to put my baby through that procedure for no valid medical reason. So my son is au naturel.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
Did you know they used to circumcize babies without any pain killers because supposedly they were too young to feel the pain?

They still don't use pain killers for circumcisions. The reason is that they would have to inject the local into the penis (sorry guys) and not only would this be horribly painful but it would also swell the organ and possibly cause complications with a clean circumcision.

Not saying I agree with the procedure...just giving the whys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.