Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Vitamin C food that can be given daily?

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
I usually give them Red bell peppers. Is there anything besides this thats good in Vit C that can be given daily with no bad effects for them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The chart hasn't been updated because the USDA information hasn't changed.

And no offense to you, but it's a little offputting when people want "off the cuff" answers rather than reading something that has been carefully researched and checked for validity. We've just recently had someone get huffy because we pointed them to a well-written link, but they "didn't have time" to go chasing around after an answer. I guess it didn't matter that the people who answer the questions donate their time, and try to provide the best information possible.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
The chart hasn't been updated because the USDA information hasn't changed.

And no offense to you, but it's a little offputting when people want "off the cuff" answers rather than reading something that has been carefully researched and checked for validity. We've just recently had someone get huffy because we pointed them to a well-written link, but they "didn't have time" to go chasing around after an answer. I guess it didn't matter that the people who answer the questions donate their time, and try to provide the best information possible.

Sorry you think im being "huffy" but i can tell you im not. Like i said ty for the chart which i know but not what i was really looking for.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I didn't say you were. I said we had someone who recently was. But the chart has the most accurate information on the web that's gathered for guinea pigs that I know of that's gathered for guinea pigs. You can download the excel spreadsheet and sort it on any column to find out what foods have the most or least of any element listed.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I rely on the peppers for the vit c. That combine with the pellets and all the veggies they get should supply all the vit. C they need.

dyannew5

Cavy Gazer
my solution was vitamin c drops added to their watter bottle. But the peppers sound fun n crunchy![emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dyannew5

Cavy Gazer
my solution was vitamin c drops added to their watter bottle. But the peppers sound fun n crunchy![emoji4]

just thinking, i got C.C.PUFF WHEN he was 4 weeks old. We are on an extremely tight budget. Tom is retired, has a good pension, S.S., and side commecial floor cleaning business. but up to when we got Cinamon, we couldnt afford Vit c.[emoji21] my pap, well , he is a lovely friend of ours, gave us the money to get cinamon. Then i got the drops. My son in law, said with their piggies, the good food/ oxbow
the C, right kind of hay, fresh vegies, your good to go. I would rather take advice of people with healthy piggies.
like when our kids were babies. The pediatrician, said.one thing, but i usually took my mother in law's advice. 5 of her own, and 12 grand
children. Since when did a man ever give birth, or nurse a baby?LOL

dyannew5

Cavy Gazer
I usually give them Red bell peppers. Is there anything besides this thats good in Vit C that can be given daily with no bad effects for them?
vitamin c drops, thats all, that is the most important vitamin!
my kids raised 2 healthy piggies, i have 2 healthy piggies, who drink
like the tide's goin out. LOL[emoji12]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@dyannew5 Just a word of warning, Vitamin C degrades very quickly in light, within less than an hour all you would be left with is flavoured water, which is one of the biggest reasons why we caution against adding vitamin C drops to their water. If you are relying on the water to provide the Vitamin C, your guinea pigs could end up deficient.

People who use vitamin C drops have a better time putting it onto a piece of lettuce and giving them the drops that way, at least you know they are actually getting the vitamin C that way. However supplementation isn't necessary for young/middle aged healthy guinea pigs if they are eating vegetables high in vitamin C, we recommend bell peppers as they are also low in calcium, and their daily 1/8 cup of pellets contain stabilized vitamin C, which oxbow does.

Nana Chan

Cavy Slave
I give my pigs oxbow vitamin c supplement, 1 tablet per pig. I also feed them variety of fresh vegetables daily.

index.jpg

One of my pig don't like the tablet, so she rely purely on the fresh vegetables I gave her.
Occasionally, I syringe feed her 1ml of liquid vitamin C just to ensure she get enough. item_XL_9603896_10990113.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't recommend using that syrup. The dose for a guinea pig's daily requirements would be about 2 cc of syrup. I can't find the complete ingredient list for it, but vitamin C is pretty astringent, so it would take a lot of sugar to make the dose palatable.

Unless your pigs are old or ill, the vegetables should be fine for their vitamin needs. But if you want to supplement, then get a plain vitamin C tablet, crush it, and dissolve the dose you want in a syringe and give it that way. Or, if you can find a children's chewable tablet, a lot of pigs like those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.