Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n veg :)

haunted_much?

Cavy Slave
Hi!
Just wondering, how many people here are vegans, how many are vegetarians, and how far you are.
For example, I am vegan (no honey, dairy, poultry, fish, mammals, eggs,) and I also NEVER use (real) leather, fur, silk, wool, bees wax, etc; products tested on animals, never buy animals from pet stores or breeders(ONLY ADOPT) and I only by animal food/toys/etc from stores that don’t sell animals.

Is there anyone else out there as crazy as me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
There's quite a few people just as crazy as you here; just search through the veg. section and you'll see. You'll also find many posts and threads from people who are "wannabees." They are the people who say, "I still eat meat, but I wannabee a vegetarian," or "I still eat eggs {or insert whatever here} but I wannabee a vegan someday."

CF#5
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Justin

Cavy Slave
They are the people who say, "I still eat meat, but I wannabee a vegetarian,"

Searching Google for vegetarianism lead me to many pleasant and forgiving information. For example, according to wikipedia, I am a flexitarian because I have been mostly vegetarian. How nice! And there was another sweet thing called pescetarian, which I decided to try from this weekend.

My wife's older sister became very proud of her daughter graduating from high school this summer. So she decided have a grand birthday party (today) for her. I was honorably invited to cook 50 rolls of various kinds of Japanese sushi, just because I could. My relatives often abuses my one-month career as a cook helper. Beside, she bought several pieces of expensive apparel for my daughter's 5th birthday. So I owed a favor to her.

Anyway, I was grilling ham and beef to make beef rolls and ham&cheese rolls (so much for the Japanese sushi) this morning. Then I thought, 'S***, I am a pescetarian now!' So I tossed them back to freezer and started make California rolls and spicy California rolls (again, so much for the "Japanese" sushi)

Then I thought, some of the guests could be vegans, why shouldn't I make half of it as vegan sushi? I was first worried that some other of the teenager guests won't be so hot on vegetables. But I could do so much good by serving them to eat vegetarian food, even if I am not a vegetarian yet. Great Scott Adams in Dilbert once said, "You can't save earth unless you are willing to sacrifice other people."

I give and I give.

Last edited:
CF#5

Justin

Cavy Slave
rationalization is just a long word that means lying to yourself

And that's great way to comfort yourself against evil people who want to control you.

aNiMaLsAmArItAn

Cavy Slave
I am really happy that there IS someone like me. I do everything that you haunted_much? does and I am PROUD! I also do not use any products that harm animals in any way (no animal testing or animal products or by-products.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I don't think there's anything wrong with starting down the path to vegetarianism slowly. Doing something is certainly better than doing nothing. And being an advocate is better than being personally pure any day, at least in my opinion. What good is being personally pure if you accomplish nothing for animals?

CF#5

haunted_much?

Cavy Slave
I am really happy that there IS someone like me. I do everything that you haunted_much? does and I am PROUD! I also do not use any products that harm animals in any way (no animal testing or animal products or by-products.

YAY!! :)
**highfive**

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I got interrupted before I could finish my previous post, and then before I could come back to it, I had an incident and ended up spending almost all of yesterday and all night in the hospital.

Anyways, what I was meaning to finish saying, is that personal purity is a great thing from a personal standpoint. However, personal purity can often interfere with effective advocacy and thus turn others away from veg*nsim and, thus, in the process, hurt animals.

See this article: GoVeg.com // Get Active // Effective Advocacy // Personal Purity vs. Effective Advocacy

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
That is sort of one of the reasons I haven't done it yet...I can't do things slow, I can't half do them. It's a disease in my head or something. I can't just "stop eating beef" today then cut out something else tomorrow. The inner hypocrisy would eat away at me and I would be a failure. A vegetarian just seems like a hypocritical vegan to me...

I'm not either, so I hope no one takes offense to that. Currently I'm in a guilt ridden phase where I feel trapped by habits and my surroundings and animal products are so engrained in my daily life that the idea of it seems so staggeringly impossible. I'm not sure where I'd even get my shoes, for example. I want to do it, I know it's the right thing, but I don't feel myself capable of doing it gradually, so it's a huge leap. What a piece of crap I am, perfectionism keeps me killing animals every day? Sounds like a load of it. I don't know. The girl who left everything she knew at 16 and fled the south to Seattle with no money isn't sure she can make a big, sudden, dramatic lifestyle change? I can't sort it out in my head, and that drives me insane.

And I have that poster, CF. I had it in my office before I lost my office in the big move, but the hospital wanted me to take it down because it didn't reflect the attitude of our organization (snicker). Although, I had it because most of my job is fixing other peoples mistakes on hospital visit accounts. I also have the "few harmless flakes can unleash an avalance of destruction" one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I am Vegan....but not a perfect Vegan. somtimes I slip and will end up eating something with dairy or eggs. But not often, I just get right back on the Vegan train. Hopefully one day I can manage to be Vegan 100%.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
A vegetarian just seems like a hypocritical vegan to me...

Interesting perspective, but I'd say that doing something - ie, eating *less* animals - is certainly better than doing *nothing* and rationalizing eating lots of animals under the guise of wanting complete perfection.

My experience is people who tout a complete black and white ideology online or in theory seldom actually live that way in real life. It's almost impossible to life in such a way that doesn't cause harm to someone or something. Even eating a purely and completely vegan life causes harm to animals in some regards, so there is no true, attainable, perfection - unless you want to live on TPN and lipids forever, become a candidate for a liver transplant, and thus contribute to all kinds of horrific animal research and drains on medical resources. Or, I suppose, you could simply quit eating and starve to death. Or go live in the woods and try to survive all alone, eating plants and the like. But you'd probably smash a few insects along the way and ruin it.

CF#5

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Interesting perspective, but I'd say that doing something - ie, eating *less* animals - is certainly better than doing *nothing* and rationalizing eating lots of animals under the guise of wanting complete perfection.

Hence me calling myself a piece of crap. : ) Self denial isn't something I'm good at. I don't think it's a guise though, and I know I'll get there eventually. Understand, I think this is a phase I'm going through on the path to being vegan, not a bs justification to eternally "eat lots of animals."

I am eating less. It just pains me that I still eat them at all. More and more when I go to make my choice of what I will eat, I cannot bring myself to order meat.

My experience is people who tout a complete black and white ideology online or in theory seldom actually live that way in real life.

I have no experience in this. I've never seen such a creature. It certainly must be a thing to behold. The entire animal rights "scene" is very new to me. I've met a lot of people in real life after knowing them online, but that was from the gaming environment. In that respect, everyone was always exactly how they portray themselves. I do trust in my instincts about people because they are seldom wrong, even when I want them to be.

Or go live in the woods and try to survive all alone, eating plants and the like. But you'd probably smash a few insects along the way and ruin it.

I see your point, Susan. I'm a newbie to this and I haven't thought it all out like that yet, so I shall ponder this! Although I must confess, going into the woods and trying to survive all alone has held a certain appeal to me since I was a little girl. I enjoy the challenge of seeing what we can do without.

I suppose I never gave it much thought, but my perfectionism and my hatred for hypocrisy is what kept me eating meat for longer than it should have. The ideas you've expressed here are not new to me. I've lived them all. I've also gone through every stage of hypocrisy imaginable. You're right that vegetarians are simply hypocritical vegans. But vegans are also hypocritical vegetarians. Everyone is a hypocrite in one way or another. I don't like it and I'll never accept it, but I've gotten over it. I don't remember where, but not too long ago, I posted, "there are worse things to be in this world than a hypocrite." I used to think nothing was more vulgar and obscene than hypocrisy, but I don't feel that way anymore.

Uh yeah, what you said. I'm shamefully infatuated with you.

Justin

Cavy Slave
There is no black or white in real life. If you look close, everything is gray.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
There is no black or white in real life. If you look close, everything is gray.

Exactly - and that is why even those who are so ardently black and white in the "online" or theoretic views don't usually truly live that way. But it's a nice idea.

Uh yeah, what you said. I'm shamefully infatuated with you.

Ugh. Take that crap to private messages - the sunshine and schmoopieness is as nauseating as it is out of place here.

"there are worse things to be in this world than a hypocrite."

Perhaps that's true, but it's difficult to advocate for animal rights when you're stuffing your face with dead cow.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Hey, I said it was shameful! I won't even get into how non schmoopie I am! I'm the anti-schmoopie!

I think we agree overall, Susan, I just have trouble articulating it. I'm definitely in the thick of trying to sort it all out, so I hope that isn't held against me too badly here.

CF#5
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.