Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Using fleece and wood pellets

sugarpuffs

Cavy Gazer
Sorry if I'm asking things that have been answered before.

We are still setting up our C and C cage ( 2 x 4) ready to then purchase 2 females.

Have decided to try out fleece with wood pellets underneath for the entire area of the cage. The fleece will be clipped to the coroplast with binder clips and maybe have some terracotta tiles in each corner of the cage to make it easier to keep the bottom flat.

Any advice, tips, pitfalls to all of this please?

Feeling a bit concerned about the pine content of wood pellets --- they say over the phone there are no additives and that they are heat treated. I've emailed them asking more about the manufacturing process. Am considering Pettex Pampus Woodbase Cat Litter - it's a UK brand.

Also a bit bothered that it will be hard to clear the wood dust off one side and the hair and hay off the other prior to putting in the washing machine. Am buying a horse bag to wash in to protect the washing machine filters but a bit bothered that this will not sort the sawdust problems from the pellet breakdown.

And sifting the pellets to the top out of the sawdust sounds potentially messy and long-winded too.

Grateful for any thoughts. Thanks.

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Im using wood pellets and fleece and i find it very easy to clean out the cage. I don't get the pellets sticking to the fleece and i just shake off as much fur, poop and hay before putting in the machine. To spread out the pellets i just use the handle to the dustpan broom. I am thinking trying the puppy pads tho as the pellets are quite noisy when the piggies are running around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please don't purchase pigs from a pet store. There should be rescues around you that have pigs that need good homes, and then you'll free up the rescue space for more needy pigs.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I agree with @bpatters. No pigs from pet stores. (Im ashamed to say both my pigs came from PetSmart)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I aired out my wood pellets for weeks before I used them, but I'm loving them now, they really do work well :). I only use them in the kitchen area so it's easy to shake and brush off the sawdust. I use a horse bag when washing fleece too, it cost a pretty penny to have it shipped from the UK, but it's worth it, I get zero hair in my washing machine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.