Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Urgent Question about size

Dutch

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping to get an answer before lunch so I can run out to the sign shop on my break.

Anyway, I found a sign shop that will sell me some, but I need to know what size sheets to get.

Thanks
Dutch

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Oh, I wanted to add that I haven't got the cubes yet and I don't know exactly what size cage I will be using. (I guess if I did, then I'd know what size I needed.)

But I am one who just gathers up a bunch of supplies and then makes something from what I've got.

So, what I am asking is typically, if you are buying sheets of coroplast, what size sheets come in the most handy?

Dutch

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I'm hoping to get an answer before lunch so I can run out to the sign shop on my break.

Anyway, I found a sign shop that will sell me some, but I need to know what size sheets to get.

Thanks
Dutch

What size cage will it be and has it got young in it? (like under 6 months old?)

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Well lets say you are making a 2 x 4 grid cage, which is good for 2 pigs. Then a 4 ft by 8ft sheet would be good. But if you are housing babies or young pigs, then you would need higher sides. You could use cardboard though to add height to the sides and just remove it when they are older.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
What size cage will it be and has it got young in it? (like under 6 months old?)

Yes, they are young! Two five week old boys. It will probably be months before I move them in there. But I was calling around today and the woman I spoke to saw me on the caller ID and said "Do you work for..." (my boss) and I said yes and she just went on and on and on about how much she loves them and how her grandpa used to rent a property from them and how I should come RIGHT down and she would fix me up. So I don't want to miss out on a good deal!

Dutch

P.S. The previous comment about the size of the cage wasn't directed at you. I hope it didn't sound rude. It was just a "duh" afterthought that I realized I should have noted in the first post. Thank you for your reply.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, since it comes in 4' by 8' sheets, I'd just get an entire sheet so that you can make as big of cage as you want, and you may also have left overs for any addition you may want to make in the future.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
How does this sound? She sold me a white 4x8 sheet for $20 plus tax. And she was so sweet about it. From what I can find, that was probably pretty close to cost for her. I haven’t seen them online for cheaper than that. (And I haven’t seen them in person anywhere at all.)

did get her to cut it in half for me. Which will put me building a 3x3 panel cage (with 3 inch deep sides) if I have my measurements correct. I know a whole sheet would have been better, but there was no way I was going to get that in the trunk of my Corolla. lol (This is an issue for me a lot.)

So, next I guess I will buy about 20 panels. That should give me plenty to play with. I'm going to build a wooden table to put the cage on. I have two dogs and would just freak out if something happened. I want them always out of site and out of mind of the dogs. They are on top of a high dresser right now. Perfect eye level for me, but the dogs don't even know they are there. HA!

Edited to add: It will also have a loft!

Dutch

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
3" sides aren't nearly high enough as they need to be for babies. You need to add cardboard to the sides when you make it. Don't be in too much of a hurry to add the loft, some people prefer just a 1 level cage. I loved my 1 lvl, but then I added a loft and everthing got about 4x harder. Just something to think about.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
3" sides aren't nearly high enough as they need to be for babies.

Yeah! I figured that was the case. Those 1.5" holes are much too big for my little guys at the size they are now. Just the right size for getting their head in and not being able to get it back out!

It will be months before I move them. The panels I am using right now is straigt up and down bars that are about half an inch apart. When I do move them, I hope to be using fleece bedding, so the three inch sides should be acceptable.

I also get what you are saying about the loft. When I see all these fantastic cages, it makes me want to build something really elaborate and fun! But each time, I have to ask myself "how often are you going to want to take that apart to clean it?" I don't know how some folks do it.

I was thinking something along the lines of an upstairs, connected by a ramp, that is not directly above the lower level. Something like

------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .\_______________

Know what I mean? It will mean a much bigger table, though.

Dutch

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.