Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Unusual noises, not as enthusiastic when being given food...

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has been fine until today. She's been making lots of noises that sound similar to number 3 and number 10 here: https://www.guineapigmanual.com/guinea-pig-sounds/, the cage has been cleaned recently (within the last few days) so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the cage.

Yesterday I fed them lettuce and a strawberry each.

Every time I bring out food, my guinea pigs wheek and jump around like crazy, but when I brought in more lettuce today, the one that I suspect is sick was not excited about it at all. She did eventually pull the lettuce into her hidey place though to eat a bit, but she never had any problems with eating out in the open before until now... What could be wrong?

I weighed her on the 26th of September and she was 830 grams and I weight her today and she is 816 grams. What do you guys think? I'll definitely be weighing her everyday just to make sure she's alright... But I'm not sure what else to do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fourteen grams difference in weight could be just the difference in when she last ate. You'd need to weigh daily at the same time of day, preferably before breakfast, and look for a pattern of weight loss.

Pigs can get weirded out by things we don't understand. Maybe she thinks an eagle is watching and that's why she's not eating today. But you need to give it a little more time.

I'd just watch her carefully for right now to make sure she's really eating/pooping/drinking/peeing normally. If you see any signs of illness (runny eyes/nose, sneezing, coughing, puffed up in pain, diarrhea, failure to eat at all), then get her to a vet.

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I hope you're right about her just being scared of an eagle, as crazy as that sounds. :p
For now I'm just separating her into her own section so I can see how her poop is. I did see some smaller sized poops but I'm not sure if it's from her, that's why. I'll keep things updated on here when I find something new! Thanks for your help! :)

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
I just weighed her again this morning before giving her any food and she's lost 27 grams. :S She ate tomato yesterday as normal and had her hay + pellets, but I've noticed her poop seems a little small? I'm not sure. :s

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much does she usually weigh?

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
Hi sorry for not responding until now!
She fluctuates between 700~830 (830 grams was at the end of September). Then she's been decreasing since then. She's at 771 grams today, so she's lost about 45 grams since I posted up this thread. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is she eating any better?

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
I think so, I gave her a tomato not too long ago and she was chomping away. She hasn't been making those noises that much anymore, so I hope she's getting better. She's not hiding as much and seems more excited about food. Maybe she'll be ok?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like she's going in the right direction. She's lost enough weight for it to be a concern, but not an emergency. I'd weigh her daily, preferably before breakfast, for several days and see how things progress.

bhpbiliton

Cavy Slave
Thanks!
Seems like she's back to normal now.
on the 5th, she weighted 825 grams (her 2nd highest!) and today she weighs 815 grams, so I think she's ok! Thanks for the help! :) If anything happens to her I'll be sure to keep this thread up to date.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.