Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Unexpected Guineas

Jodine

Cavy Slave
Hello! Today my boyfriend and I went into a shop to just look at sugar gliders. We came out with two guinea pigs unexpectedly. We were told they are around 2 months old. The big brown one is named Gimli (mine) and the mixed colored one is Pudge (boyfriends). We are loving them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LemonySnickers

Cavy Slave
Hello! It's nice to meet you. On this forum there is tons of information about guinea pigs and proper care. I would first check your guinea pigs to make sure they are the same sex. Oftentimes pet stores will say the guinea pigs are both males or females, but they are not, and you could end up with a pregnant girl on your hands. Welcome to the forum!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome! But immediately turn those pigs over and compare their private parts. If they're different, then separate them immediately. Pregnancy and delivery are very hard on GP sows, and both maternal and pup deaths are high.

If you bought a pet store cage, it will be too small for adult pigs. No cage sold by a pet store is large enough for two males.

Here's some recommended reading for new pig owners: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners

Jodine

Cavy Slave
We checked. They are both males :) The cage came with them, we plan to buy the grid type cubes and make them a large area inside as well as an outside area for some sunshine and fresh air.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the world of piggies!! They're both adorable, and I love Gimli--- he's a lot like my Friar Tuck!
Besides bpatters fantastic link, this site helped me a lot with my first piggy: www.guineapigmanual.com. It's very readable, fun, and full of info :)

Jodine

Cavy Slave
Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.