Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Costs Two for the price of one

pinky

Cavy Slave
The last few days I've noticed a few sneezes coming from one of my cages but couldn't figure out which guinea pig it was. No coughing, wet noses or runny eyes...just a sneeze now and then. I thought I figured it out today and made a vet appointment for Wishbone. Wouldn't you know, about a half hour later I saw Wolfbane sneeze so I called the vet and asked if they could fit in two instead of one. They said yes.

Neither of them had any signs of a URI. She checked everything and they both checked out fine. Wishbone has lost a little weight which has had me concerned but considering she'll be 6 in a couple of months, the vet said it could be age related. She told me to watch her but didn't want to traumatize her by taking blood at this point. Both of them have had softer droppings than usual but not mushy so I mentioned that. She thought it would be a good idea to put both of them on Flagyl, as a precaution. I was stunned when I got the bill because she only charged me for one....$48.75 which included the meds...... I love my vet.....Dr. Laura Wallach at Danada Veterinary Hospital.

While I was waiting, there was a man checking out, carrying a small cardboard Petco carrier so I asked him if he had a guinea pig in there. He had two. He said he works for Petco and was bringing in a guinea pig with a cyst and his cagemate that appears to be healthy but wanted to have him checked in case it was contagious. He said he brings their animals to my vet for treatment and corporate pays for it. I am in no way a fan of Petco. I am totally against pet stores selling live animals but I have to admit it was nice to see him at least attempting to take care of them. I held my tongue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.