Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Two boys started fighting - puberty?

Owsleyjb

Cavy Slave
I have had Stripe (male) for about 2 years. We recently added Tompkin (male). When we introduced them they were 1 1/2 years and 2 months. The introduction went well though I don't think they particularly like each other. More of a tolerance. Now 6 months later, their behavior has changed a lot. They seem to tolerate each other most of the day, but at least twice a day, they go Crazy with teeth chattering and lunging at each other. No blood drawn. So is Tompkin entering puberty? Should I wait it out? Or will they need to be separated? They are in a 2x4 with a 1x3 loft. I have two water bottles, 2 hay bags, and 2 food bowls.

I am kinda of in the same boat as, but with females.

As they so....No blood....then leave them be. They will work it out.

That 1x3 loft may be a problem. A 1xanything doesn't work well with boars, because they don't have room to get past each other without a challenge.

Also, are there two ramps to the loft?

That 1x3 loft may be a problem. A 1xanything doesn't work well with boars, because they don't have room to get past each other without a challenge.

Also, are there two ramps to the loft?

Hmm, that's an interesting thought. No I only have one ramp. They fight up there some, but mostly it seems like they really get into it downstairs. I'll think about reconfiguring. I don't really have room to increase the footprint, but maybe I could change the loft around.

Ok. So I redid the the cage. Now it is 3x4 with no loft. They are still fightingand it seems to be escalating. Today i found a few little bite marks so they are definitely making contact. But then during naptime they lay right next to each other super relaxed and happy. So now that they have drawn blood, do I separate them or still let them try to work it out?

I think the nipping is normal. It's the all-out wars you have to watch out for. And check the nipped places to make sure there's no infection starting (no heat/swelling/redness/pus). You've got two boars, one just entering adolescence, so there's going to be humping and nipping.

Do all your hideys have two doors? Are there at least two of everything else in the cage, and preferably three? Have you rearranged it so there's no place that one pig can trap another?

I have one hidey with two holes but the igloo only has one. I could swap that out. I do have two of everything and have it at separate ends of the cage.

How do you know when it's out of control? Would they be rolling around the cage in a fighting furball?

Yes, a fighting furball is out of control. But if what you're seeing is nips, particularly on the back, they're just asserting dominance. Bites on the face are more serious, because it means that one pig has trapped another somewhere and has him cornered. It's usually the dominant pig that gets bit on the face, because the other one is trapped and is trying to get away.

That's why it's important not to have any place in the cage where that can happen. So yes, take the igloo out and replace it with something else, or cut another hole in it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.