Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Tips for good veggie food

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Some stuff is a bit more expensive but it can be very yummy. Alot of the time I will buy in bulk when it is on sale and freeze it. I think the frozen boxed stuff (like the morning star chicken) is comparable to the simlar higher end products. Sometimes it is just harder to find it on sale or if you are like me and buy the generic brand it just seems a bit more expensive since there is no real generic brand.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
C-and-K, I thought the samething as you about the prices. For the most part I find it to be pretty much the same price as real meat. The meat crumbles as of right now are one of my favorites and it is pennies away from being $3.00 for a one pound bag.

I have tried several types of the "meat" and I am having a really hard time eatting it. It truly is gross for the most part. I guess you aquire a taste for it over time, but at least for right now I am finding it difficult to eat it. Last night I feed my family a roast that had been slow cooked all day and I did not have to go to work so I was stuck home smelling it. I know for those of you who do not eat meat that sound disguisting, but for me only being meat free for two and a half weeks it was extremely hard not to touch that roast last night. Instead I sat there while everyone commented how wonderful it tasted and ate my "chicken strips" that were really nasty. I had to drown them in honey mustard to even be able to chew them without gagging :(

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
C&K - My cats are on Performatin Ultra. It's organic and the only thing that keeps Shampoo from leaving me little presents on the floor. We should be going up past Costco this weekend on our way to the horse supply store for Vetwrap. Maybe we shall stop in a moment and look.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
OH I love Boca burgers!! I m not a fan of tofu:sick: but I love boca burgers. Try them if you get a chance.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Have any of you eatten salsa on a baked potato??? It is REALLY GOOD. I have been getting them when we go out to dinner and I am not wanting pasta or a salad. Just wanted to share :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
That is one of my favorite ways to eat BPs Weaver! It's also fat free if you're watching out for that sort of thing. Stuffed spuds are one of our favorite meals at home. Bake up the potatoes and serve them with salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese (or soy cheese), olives, chopped onion, and cooked chopped broccoli or spinach from the freezer section. You can also cook up some of the chopped meat substitute crumbles and season them with taco seasoning or whatever herbs and spices you like and top the potatoes with that. VERY yum!

Last edited:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
OOOoo I'm drooling - it must be nearly tea time!!!
Baked potatoes are a firm favorite in our house too. My son's favorite is with beans and cheese. I'd stick just about anything (veggie) on a B/P. There's a fantastic wee baked potato shop in Edinburgh that is veggie/vegan and sells amongst other fantastic fillings, a 'veggie haggis and neeps tattie'. Don't know if you can get veggie haggis in the States - but it's absolutely worth a go if you can find it!!!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I've never even heard of veggie haggis. I wonder how they make the casing that holds everything together.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Plastic! You can buy it in a tin too.

piggy_love

Cavy Slave
Try for wholesome or ORGANIC produce. With organic, there is a more, jucier and healthier and tastier taste. Believe me its really really worth the extra $$

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I LOVE twice baked potatoes. I usually just put butter on them, but the crunchy crust is the best. I'll try the salsa, that actually sounds pretty good.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.