Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Tips for good veggie food

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Ok, I just had the morningstar corn dogs and OH MY GOSH they're delicious! I could live off those things. They're great dipped in ketchup or mustard. Mmmm.....

donna4909

Cavy Slave
New veggie here, and I must say the Morningstar "chik" patties are wonderful. No weird taste or anything, very similar to chicken. It was the first fake meat I ever ate, and I loved them. I hate to give them up, but unfortunately they do contain dairy & egg whites, which I'm also trying to phase out now.

The Boca chicken is entirely vegan though, so I'm gonna give it a try. I hope it's just as good as the Mornigstar.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I envy all you Americans with your yummy Morningstar farms and your Boca. Untill recently we just had plain old Yves, which used to suck. Now that they have competition from Schniders they are actually getting better and actually getting some variety.

I bought some soy ka-bobs this week. I hope they taste as good as they look!

I miss corn dogs though. I need one of you guys to buy me a ton and ship them to Canada! For some reason they have like 4 types of ground soy meat and 6 types of burgers but no corn dog or chicken finger replacements.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I've found Boca products in Canada before! Not sure where in Toronto you are, but try Loblaws (one with a big health/organic section - not sure which ones, I know the one in Thornhill at Bayview/7 has a big section), Ambrosia foods (in Thornhill, on Doncaster Rd), or Whole Foods (Yorkville - Hazleton Lanes). I can't remember the brand, but years ago I bought some veggie chicken drumsticks from Loblaws that were pretty good. Oh yeah, the Dominion down and Church and Front? I think? had a huge health food section too.

Carissa

Cavy Slave
I totally agree, Sabriel. I had to drive 1/2 hour to grocery shop just to get ground soy and veggie dogs (which aren't that good to begin with) our local store had nothing. Now they are finally trying some fake Chicken and Meatless Meatballs so hopfully they taste good so they'll keep them in stock.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
If I didn't live in Toronto I'd most likely have the same problem. As it is the nearest grocery store only has limited veg options and they always run out of ground round. I have to walk 20 minutes just to get to the nearest place with a decent selection.

If I had a car it wouldn't be so bad. But having a car in Toronto is nuts. We don't even have parking around here to put a car.

Edit: Fairysari, I just saw your post. I'll have to keep those places in mind if I'm in the area. Public Transit is so expensive now. It's $2.75 cash fare one way!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Ok, last night I made the family spagetti and put me some of the pasta and tomato sauce on the side. I tried the Morningstar chicken patties, put mozzerella cheese on the top and it was REALLY, REALLY good. The kids even wanted to try it without me asking lol

C&K

Cavy Slave
I miss corn dogs though. I need one of you guys to buy me a ton and ship them to Canada! For some reason they have like 4 types of ground soy meat and 6 types of burgers but no corn dog or chicken finger replacements.

I could swear that I tried a veggie corn dog at Costco, however it may be that they had a veggie dog and a separate corn mixture that I am blending together in my head into "corn dog"... I am going to Costco again this weekend, maybe tonight, I'll have a look, if they do, I'll let you know.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The more I hear about Costco the more I want to get a Costco card. But I have the fear that if I do my house will be full of boxes of non perishable bulk foods.

It's bad enough that our freezer tends to be full of the meat my husband brings home from work for free, I'm afriad he'd start buying everything in bulk!

Maybe it's just an irrational fear that stems from my step father's strange habit of buying everything in bulk.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Maybe it's just an irrational fear that stems from my step father's strange habit of buying everything in bulk.

I can understand it. I had an aunt who would freeze bread if she could buy it on sale! She could have 20-30 loaves sitting in the deep freezer!

Still though, I think it would be worth a look for you, take a good look around, compare prices, if you see value in it, go for it, if not, then don't. Being a childless couple and in an apartment, your need for bulk goods is certainly less then ours! Still though, it is not like you buy huge cartons of stuff or industrial sized cans of ketchup, most of the stuff is just sold in arangements like 3 packs or stuff like that. What I love though, are a lot of the special buys they get in and stuff like that. Also, they have huge amounts of Crackle Barrel cheese that we buy for can't be beat prices, that said, I suppose it all depends on if you are a cheese made out of milk eating veg head or not if that would be of interest to you... For us, there is no way I could keep everyone in cheese if it where not for Costco or if I had to buy special cheese.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Do they sell pet items? We may be childless but we have quite the herd of furkids! Bulk lint rollers would be a life saver around here. ;)

Both my grandma and mother have full size freezers for things they find on sale. My grandmother has 3 rooms in her basement where she stashes all the non perishables she bought on sale.

I buy very little in bulk and it's typically only things I buy online since I have to pay for shipping anyway. The last thing I bought it bulk was incense. And the incense company charges a flat $9 fee for shipping so it made sense to buy more then one box.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I am sure they do have some stuff you could buy in bulk----they have veggies :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Costco has lint rollers in 6 packs. With 2 cats, a dog, a piggy, and a hamster right now, they come in very handy. I also buy trash bags, gallon freezer bags and romaine lettuce there regularly. The romaine comes in 6 packs as well. Occasionally, I'll buy peppers there. They have really pretty produce if I'm doing a lot of cooking, or the veggie bin for Percy is running really low.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
That is the same with me. I buy the romaine, the multicolored bag of bell-peppers, laundry detergent, bottled water, cereal, chips, garbage bags, paper towels, etc. With two kids, and 10 pets I actually buy a lot in there!!!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Luckily, even if I do get a Costco card I'm limited to what we can haul out of there in our arms. Having no car really limits what you can lug home. Sometimes I think that's a blessing is disguise.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Sabriel, my hubby is going to Toronto at the end of the month with his friend for Gamesday. Perhaps I could bribe him into bringing up the corn dogs for you.

HockeyPigg

Cavy Slave
I have found that Boca Burgers cook very well on my panini grill if anyone has one! They cook faster and more even for me.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Babygrl1234 you rock!

Out of curiosity what game?

C&K

Cavy Slave
I really like the Kirkland food for dogs and cats, the cat food is a very large bag for only $10.00 or some stupidly low price like that, but if you look at the label, it is pretty good stuff! My cat last summer got into such a state, it was just awful, she rapidly developed a flea allergy and nearly ended up bald, so, we got her on flea meds but we changed her food around the same time. So, I am sure it is partly due to her fleas being cleared up, but I have never seen her coat looking so healthy! They often have many pet items though, the thing is, unless it is food, it will come and go, just have to see what is there from week to week. Very much a pile it high and watch them buy.

I have a question for all those who buy all of these veggie Mock Meat products in the US, are they typically a lot more money then the meat equivalents? I find it a hard sell to DH when looking at a hotdog or mushroom burger patty and it is like 2-3 times more $$.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Warhammer 40k. He goes to Gamesday every year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.