Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along This is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree with you hun. The shorthand is very frustrating to someone just learning our language, I do promise I will make a better effort to fix my posts. And I would never intend for you to feel uncomfortable, I actually given all the time I have spent communicating with others who do not know our language think it is awesome to help someone with our language and learn a bit of theirs at the same time. But that is just me. Like I said though I will try harder with my posts.

Thanks you so much for taking my criticism with such grace. You be amazed how many people think is personal attack.

Only issue I had with post was no paragraph, and you not do that now. Thanks you! If you ever need a hand with Russian, just PM me. ;)

LoveMyPiggies, I'm not completely understanding what point you are trying to make.

Sometimes when people do something wrong they need to be told they are doing something wrong. If they wish to change their actions it is up to them. Unfortunately it may not be nice. Sometimes the truth can hurt, you can't dance around reality because you are scared to offend them. A matter of a fact approach is most effective. Straight to the point.

Thanks you so much for taking my criticism with such grace. You be amazed how many people think is personal attack.

Only issue I had with post was no paragraph, and you not do that now. Thanks you! If you ever need a hand with Russian, just PM me. ;)

I appreciate your tolerance with me and my opinion and be careful what you ask for, I may just ask you to teach me some Russian, just so I can say I know some words, I think other languages are fascinating!

LoveMyPiggies, I'm not completely understanding what point you are trying to make.

Sometimes when people do something wrong they need to be told they are doing something wrong. If they wish to change their actions it is up to them. Unfortunately it may not be nice. Sometimes the truth can hurt, you can't dance around reality because you are scared to offend them. A matter of a fact approach is most effective. Straight to the point.

I do understand that a more direct approach is the time saving way, believe me, I could use some choice words to get my point across, but it would be hurtful, and I choose not to be that way. I just firmly believe you can catch more bees with honey than you can with lemons if that make sense. For the cause of this site, you can get "all of your concerns, messages, view points, everything" across a lot better if "everyone" took the time to be tolerant and patient with their responses. Getting your point across, does not have to be blunt or harsh, that is just the way you choose to do it. And for that reason others will feel intimidated, and in the end, you may get your point across to the few who linger like me, but what about all the others who didn't get it. Those who probably would have stayed had they seen more kindness and less attitude in those posts. Do you understand?

Getting your point across, does not have to be blunt or harsh, that is just the way you choose to do it. And for that reason others will feel intimidated, and in the end, you may get your point across to the few who linger like me, but what about all the others who didn't get it. Those who probably would have stayed had they seen more kindness and less attitude in those posts. Do you understand?

I think the majority of members here would prefer people to get on with it and get to the point at hand. The more dancing around about a "touchy" subject there is a greater chance that someone will miss the point.

I think the majority of members here would prefer people to get on with it and get to the point at hand. The more dancing around about a "touchy" subject there is a greater chance that someone will miss the point.

While i can understand your point of view and it is probably the same point of view many other long timers here share, I am most certain you all are tired of typing the same old thing, I was merely as a newbie and kind of an outsider stating my opinion and if you look back, I got some pretty sore responses and no thank you things for sharing my opinion.

In my opinion I never once bashed this site and what it stands for, I did not bash the rules, I did say I did not like them, but I also said we have to get over it to post here, I also did not out right advocate purchasing your animals from pet stores. I simply stated that I agreed with the purpose of the site, how wonderful the information is here, and that I think the site's message could be better conveyed through practiced tolerance and polite reminders about what the site stands for. Not the pent up hostility that wreaks from some people's posts.

As for the point being made about pro rescue, I think I did in one post early on suggest letting the mods give those gentle reminders with one of their nice little links to information in a PM, I mean they do have to mod all the probie posts before they ever hit the boards. They could even use their authority to keep the poor little probies from making a fool of themselves by posting they bought their animal in a pet store.

As far as those who buy their babies from a pet store or where ever knowing the stand point of this site, they already kkow they don't need it 30 more times, I know this is pro rescue, but tell them their pig is cute even though you don't agree with where they bought it from. Some people are just softies. And you know if those pigs in the awful pet stores do not get purchased where will they end up? On that rainbow bridge if that's what you call it, or in a shelter all the same. So one slip in judgment does not constitute a public forum lynching does it. What do you really accomplish by doing that?

I guess that was my point. Sorry if I upset you by stating it though.

Not the pent up hostility that wreaks from some people's posts.

Pent up hostility. Seriously? I don't think you have any hostility from any member of this site other then the members who have been banned.

As for the point being made about pro rescue, I think I did in one post early on suggest letting the mods give those gentle reminders with one of their nice little links to information in a PM, I mean they do have to mod all the probie posts before they ever hit the boards. They could even use their authority to keep the poor little probies from making a fool of themselves by posting they bought their animal in a pet store.

So people buy guinea pigs on a whim all the time. They get home after spending a ton of money at the pet store and do a search on google. They find this site and realize what they have done and most get the point. There is no shame if you don't know any better.

And you know if those pigs in the awful pet stores do not get purchased where will they end up? On that rainbow bridge if that's what you call it, or in a shelter all the same.

What about the sweet sow that is back bread over and over again till she dies living in filth her whole life. What about that pig in the shelter that could have a home only if someone adopted it instead of buying one in a store where it was bred for a profit.

So one slip in judgment does not constitute a public forum lynching does it. What do you really accomplish by doing that?

I have not seen a forum lynching. If a person knows better but continues to support horrible corporations and small bussinesses that sell live animals so be it, you can't say they weren't told.

I guess that was my point. Sorry if I upset you by stating it though.

Please feel free to state your point. Do it all at once because it's much easier to understand. I rarely get upset.

Listen up folks. This thread is very close to getting closed because many of you are now trying to act like moderators trying to tell others how to post and one even started down the troll road. Neither of which is allowed. If it continues, this moderator is going to start infracting those acting like a moderator. Please leave the telling of the rules (such as breaking long posts into paragraphs) to us and worry about other things. We are here to handle those things and you don't need to take the flack from other members over it. Thank you.

I appreciate your tolerance with me and my opinion and be careful what you ask for, I may just ask you to teach me some Russian, just so I can say I know some words, I think other languages are fascinating!

No issue, I appreciate your tolerance of my poor English skill! :)

Pent up hostility. Seriously? I don't think you have any hostility from any member of this site other then the members who have been banned.

So people buy guinea pigs on a whim all the time. They get home after spending a ton of money at the pet store and do a search on google. They find this site and realize what they have done and most get the point. There is no shame if you don't know any better.

What about the sweet sow that is back bread over and over again till she dies living in filth her whole life. What about that pig in the shelter that could have a home only if someone adopted it instead of buying one in a store where it was bred for a profit.

I have not seen a forum lynching. If a person knows better but continues to support horrible corporations and small bussinesses that sell live animals so be it, you can't say they weren't told.

Please feel free to state your point. Do it all at once because it's much easier to understand. I rarely get upset.

I do agree people should spend more time researching before getting any pet. Just so you know what is involved with caring for them etc. And while I did not buy my girls from a pet store, I wish I had found this site and maybe asked some of ya'll to help me find adoptees before buying mine where I did by. I would have preferred to adopt that's just the kind of person I am. But now I will when I get a bigger house to add on to my cage, be asking for help to locate some piggies near me needing rescue. I am actually looking forward to it.

And all in all while I may not have come across and genuinely appreciative of everything on this site and all the work the mods and owner have to do to keep it running smoothly, I really do appreciate it. Without you folks, my girls would still be getting a couple stick of peeled sweet potatoes a week, and that's it for veggies. They would probably still be in a store cage as well. But by reading this site and asking my questions, my girls are well on their way to a happier piggy life.

No issue, I appreciate your tolerance of my poor English skill! :)

We are all learning something. I applaud you for working so hard at another language, many people give up easily. If you ever have any questions on anything, I will gladly help (that's with the English language, as I am still very new to the piggy owner thing).

I am new here and new to guinea pigs. My guinea pig did not come from a rescue. We took him in when his owner could no longer care for him due to his medical condition. I have no idea where the original owner got Prince and since he is under hospice care I am not going to bother him with such a question..doesn't seem important. I do not know if Prince is considered by this board to been obtained by my partner and I by acceptable means. I do think it is good to be pro rescue. I think a lot of people don't realize small animals are available via rescues. I think when you think animal rescue most people they immediately think cat/dog. I see that this site refers people to Craigslist for adoptions, but also has a thread to flag breeders. A lot of people (me included) would not know how to "spot" a breeder. Is there a thread about how to spot breeders on Craigslist? We may be looking to get Prince a friend here in a few weeks, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to spot a breeder. I looked on Petfinder and there aren't GPs in my area. I don't think we will buy from a store and would much prefer to just take in one that needs a good home. But I don't want to unknowingly pay an "adoption fee" to a breeder.

I agree with everyone on this forum here. Guinea pigs in the pet stores have been bred to be sold and people are buying those guinea pigs instead of giving some poor piggie that was abandoned or who was ALSO bought in a pet store but then thrown out because they couldn't properly take care of it a home. All the piggies in the animal rescue or from someone who can't take care of it anymore came from somewhere and they all need a home. Granted, the piggies in the store are for that reason too but they are there mainly to make money. I personally believe that yes, you can get your guinea pig from a pet store - if it rocks your socks, then why not? Go for it - but think of all the homeless piggies that get euthanized because no one wants to take them home and would rather take a petstore piggie home. There's no differences between any of them - they're all cute, cuddly, and rather adorable. They should all be treated the same way, yet pet store piggies are given priority because of convenience in locations (there are a lot more pet stores than animal rescues with guinea pigs where I live, Brooklyn, NYC). So you can go on and on and blame the people here that they are wrong about pet store piggies and that they're close-minded but I think that you could be a little open-minded too and realize that not everyone holds the beliefs that you do. Thank you.

I admit that I bought my piggie from a pet store and after reading this forum, I thoroughly regret it but if you asked me to give him up just to adopt another piggie, obviously I'm not going to because I love him to death. I do realize my mistakes so anytime in the near future, I will most definitely adopt rather than buy. The two hamsters that I had in the past were all adopted because I knew that they were in more dire need of homes than the ones at the petstores.

I thoroughly regret it but if you asked me to give him up just to adopt another piggie, obviously I'm not going to because I love him to death.

No one is going to ask you to do such a foolish thing.

I am new here and new to guinea pigs. My guinea pig did not come from a rescue. We took him in when his owner could no longer care for him due to his medical condition. I have no idea where the original owner got Prince and since he is under hospice care I am not going to bother him with such a question..doesn't seem important. I do not know if Prince is considered by this board to been obtained by my partner and I by acceptable means.

Taking in a pet that is being given up by a previous owner who can no longer look after it is also considered a "rescue". Many people who claim not to have a rescue nearby are encouraged to look at rehoming adds on kijiji or Craigs list (beware of breeders though). Any animal that is given a "second chance" without encouraging the pet store/backyard breeding production line is considered a rescue. There are SO many animals out there needing a home and various places to look for them that there is no reason EVER to buy from breeders or pet stores.

In the end I suppose most animals initially come from a store or breeder. The point in rescuing an animal is to stop fueling those places and finding a home for ALL the unwanted, homeless animals first.

Last edited:
It's important to realize that we're all here for the same reason. To help our guinea pigs. Our piggies are animals that need to be cared for and that's our goal here on this forum. Sometimes that means being tough, but it's all in their best interest. Please, don't insult us. Our piggies wouldn't want us getting upset for misunderstandings.

It's important to realize that we're all here for the same reason. To help our guinea pigs. Our piggies are animals that need to be cared for and that's our goal here on this forum. Sometimes that means being tough, but it's all in their best interest. Please, don't insult us. Our piggies wouldn't want us getting upset for misunderstandings.
Perfect post!!

I agree we are all here to learn.

I got my two boys from a pet store. If we ever decide to get more we'll thoroughly search on Petfinder or Craigslist. At the same time I am here to learn and grow.

I did get to learn and get feedback on making a great cage for the boys. So although they came from a store, they are in a good, loving home that provides the best food, etc.

The closest rescue to us (about two hour drive) stated on their site that they don't adopt to people with small children. My daughter is two and we plan on trying for another baby soon. I definitely respect their reasons, but I also know how to parent my child.

If the situation arises where we decided to get another pig I may contact them and ask if they have any GPs they would be willing to place with us. By that time we'd be pretty experienced and I have a good vet reference.

You're right! This IS ridiculous.

Let's all agree on a few things, here:

1. The mods are the mods - they have more authority than the regular members, they are knowledgable, and they're here to enforce the rules.

2. You might not like everything that's said and you may disagree with some things, but that's just the way this forum is. It has its firm beliefs and rules, and if you join the GPC forum, it's not a good idea to go against these things.

3. We all want what's best for our guinea pigs, so it's best to accept the advice and constructive criticism and move on. Like YayPiggies said,

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hope that sheds a little light . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.