Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

They meet...

• Thread starter SerpentineSylph
  • Start date

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Prologue
Last night I finally was able to introduce my baby Teddy, Boo to my 3 year old Crestie boy, Doc. Boo is a very small, young boar who had been around other pigs his whole life, Doc... I don't even know his past. The shelter had no clue. So, I was PETRIFIED of introducing them. So many people have horror stories of blood shed, hours of chasing, and so on. I just didn't know how my lonely three year old would deal with a new boar. My fiance had Boo on a towel, and I had Doc on another towel. We sat down on the floor, legs spread to make a 'pen' and straightened the towels out. I then grabbed this fleece blanket that was folded in a few sections, readying it to pry the gaping fur and blood filled jaws of Doc off of poor little Boo.

The Meeting
Boo sat there, stiff as he could be. Didn't move a muscle. Doc browsed for a while, nibbled on my pants, and I encouraged him towards Boo - and finally he found him. Doc made no noise, nibbled the fur on Boo's face and then nibbled on his ear and Boo wheeked, which made me gently move Doc away. I was so scared, Boo just sat there in a very passive way and my fiance checked his ear - only slobber, quite the relief. So, Doc just browsed, couldn't care less about Boo. Walked next to him, sat next to him (purely on accident), but nothing else. No sounds, no rumblestrutting, no anything. Boo peed, I thought 'here comes the test' as Doc sniffed it... He did nothing. They stayed together for about two hours, no problem. I put hay in there and they munched it together, though Boo still kept very still.

The Setup
I planned on washing everything in the cage (I only have one set of towels for it), re-doing the cage, and then putting everything in - but both my fiance and I were very tired and it was pushing 1AM. So I opted to just put those two big towels in and my other fleece, and just make do for tonight with my 2x4 (I had a loft, but I took it off as I was going to re-do the cage last night, expand to a 2x5 L-shape and have a 2x2 loft). I set everything up, put a brick under the water bottle so Boo could reach it. Food bowl, two hideys, excluding the make-shift hay rack which would make three, two jingly balls, a little mirror and a toilet paper roll. How would they react in cage?

The Real Deal
I put Boo in first, made sure he could get to the water. He drank and perked right up, exploring everything the cage had to offer. He had spent his life with his brother (the dominate one) before in what basically equates to a 2x1 with pine (not kiln-dried, it made me cough), which has caused him to cough a little when I first got him, though that's slowly diminishing. I'm sure his lungs are much happier on fleece. Anyway, here comes my big boy, Doc. In he goes, he checks out everything, watches Boo running around, but keeps doing his thing. Boo is more bold now. He gets right up in Doc's face, right by his mouth Oh, god. Oh, god. Oh, god. What's going to happen? ... To my surprise, Doc popcorns! He darts off though, and Boo keeps browsing. We watched them until a bit after 2AM. And it was great, no ANYTHING! I couldn't believe it! They both popcorned, had fun - though Doc is a bit frightened of Boo! Boo did wheek one time in what sounded like pain, but it was because ol' fatty boy had stepped on him and was partially standing on him... :crazy:

Epilogue
They're doing beautifully. No cuddling despite Boo's best efforts, Doc still runs away. But no bad noise or nips at all! In fact, there was some purring and happy noises! Doc's still learning about other pigs, it seems. I was worried when Boo was drinking water, Doc came up and sniffed his butt and then when to Boo's face (I realized I had forgotten to clean the nozzle of the bottle!), Boo turned and they were nose to nose and then Doc went on his merry way! Doc was eating pellets out of the bowl, Boo came over and put his paws up and then climbed in and started eating. Doc then stopped eating for a few moments (my heart raced again) and he then just squeezed his nose in next to Boo and finished his meal!

I'm tickled, to say the least!

Last edited:

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Now onto everyone's favorite...

The pictures!

Here's Boo.
(Sorry for the poor lighting, they live in the bedroom with me and it's very poor for taking pictures.)
Boo.jpg

You can't see it, but it seems little Boo has blue eyes.

P1020540.jpg

Devil pigs!

P1020538.jpg

A picture to show how Boo fits in the dish.

P1020534.jpg

"Hey! That's for eatin', not for sittin'!"

P1020541.jpg

Boo finally got the idea of how you're suppose to eat food.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
How fantastic, it is so nice to hear/read a good story like this once in a while. I'm glad it all worked out so beautifully.

pig-in-paradise

Cavy Slave
Oh, you posted pics while I was reading. They're great!

guinealovee

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh! You have the most beautiful pigs I have ever seen!! I'm glad everything went well with introductions. :)

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Wonderful!

I have loved Doc for some time now, and now Boo is ADORABLE.

Congrats on the happy family!

xPiggiesx

Cavy Slave
Boo is adorable! Congratulations on the introduction!

Ellen

Cavy Gazer
That's great to hear that the introduction went that well! If only it worked that way for everybody.

That last picture of the two of them is just tooooooo cute!

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Aww, thank you all for the lovely compliments! You're gonna give my boys even bigger heads than they already have!

I know, you hear a lot of "they just wont get along!", "they did so well, and then all of a sudden they fought for three hours!" But it's always nice to hear pleasant introduction stories (and even better when they happen to you!). I was so proud of Doc and how he treated Boo, I just wanted to scoop Doc up and give him kisses and hug him right then. He was just wonderful!

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Aww! They are so cute together!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
What handsome boys! Boo's coat looks like a fuzzy wool sweater, so snuggly and Doc has beautiful coloring as well. So glad they are doing so well, please keep us updated, and the pigtures coming!

socal805

Cavy Slave
Aww how wonderful! I think Doc looks so happy with his new little pal, and Boo is just too cute, he looks like a stuffed animal guinea pig! I just want to pignap them both! Congrats to the new "brothers" and their family!

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Aww, thank you both! Flattery will get you everywhere. ;)
I'm sorry, Socal, but I'd have to kill you if you took my boys!

I took some more pictures yesterday in daylight (so no red eye!) and they'll be up later today! They've started cuddling and hiding together! ❤️

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
I promised more pictures and I'm finally delivering! Boo is still very shy, so he's no where near as photogenic as Doc. Boo stuck to his tube during most of this, but I got one really good shot of him and Doc together, which I'm saving for last. :)

P1020543.jpg

"Is it safe...?"

P1020544.jpg

"It's too scary out there! Forget it!"

P1020576.jpg

"Mmm, it's not so bad once you get use to it."

P1020571small.jpg

Doc is the ever curious pigger and got a wee bit too close...

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
P1020554small.jpg

Doc enjoying some fresh veggies - Boo is learning about veggies from Doc like I had hoped.

P1020574.jpg

Jabba the Pig

And my favorite, even though it's a bit blurry...

P1020556small.jpg

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Awwww! I'm glad to hear they get along so well. They are both gorgous ecspecially Teddy!

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
aww! They are the most perfect, adorable match! Your so lucky that they get along so well! I have always been jealous of Doc(he's just so gorgeous!) but now you have Boo also!! I'm now super jealous. :)

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Aww, thank you, guys! :eek:
I'm really glad they're getting along. I have a total of four hideys including the hay rack, but they usually share the one cube tunnel I made. I'll have to get some pictures of them cuddling. They're so sweet together. ❤️

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Awww, I'm so happy for you!! I wish my boys got along like that from the beginning... or even now, for that matter! Count yourself lucky. And you have the most absolutely gorgeous boys! Your story and picture perked my day up. :)

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Great pics and pigs! I absolutely love them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.