Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The "new" cage

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
happie gurl said:
That is a really nice cage! I know exactly what you're going through..at the moment I am also compremising with my old cage as well :p
Thanks. The pigs really enjoy the attached old cage.

Teria

Cavy Slave
The problem I had with the storebought cages was that the sides were much too high and my pigs had to climb bridges to get over. Bonnie managed fine but the others definitely didn't like it. But your cage seems to have very low plastic walls, so I think it's great as an addition.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Teria said:
The problem I had with the storebought cages was that the sides were much too high and my pigs had to climb bridges to get over. Bonnie managed fine but the others definitely didn't like it. But your cage seems to have very low plastic walls, so I think it's great as an addition.
Thanks. I was worried that the sides would be too high, but they aren't

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Furkidsmommy said:
FYI- you should consider removing the pellets with the added bits and getting a plain pellet.

I totally agree. Pellets with seeds/nuts/corn only present a choking hazard and will make your piggies too fat. Please get a good quality plain pellet.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
I totally agree. Pellets with seeds/nuts/corn only present a choking hazard and will make your piggies too fat. Please get a good quality plain pellet.
We don't have "good quality" pellets around here. I told my mom they shouldn't have that stuff, but she still buys it. I'm not allowed to buy from the internet either.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
lindsey's boys said:
We don't have "good quality" pellets around here. I told my mom they shouldn't have that stuff, but she still buys it. I'm not allowed to buy from the internet either.
Please don't think I'm attacking you- I'm not. I understand the position you're in with your Mom. It's difficult feeling like you have your hands tied.
I owned a piggy who died from choking on the seeds and extra crunchy bits in the food. I was an uneducated owner at the time, and wasn't yet a member of this site. Of course, I've since changed over to a plain pellet diet.
If you can't offer plain pellets, consider taking them off pellets entirely. There are several threads here that talk about why pellets really aren't that important. Make sure your piggies get unlimited hay or fress grass from the yard (please make sure it's untreated) and a good supply of veggies.
I just don't want to see another owner lose their piggy. As a last resort, consider taking the mixed food you have now, and pick out all of the seeds and colored bits. Sounds extreme, I know, but I believe your piggies are worth it.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Lindsey- You could go on the HAFF diet- Hay and Fresh foods diet.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
Lindsey- You could go on the HAFF diet- Hay and Fresh foods diet.
I might try that. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.