Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Suspected mites? How long can I wait?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Two of my pigs have very clear dandruff, white tiny flakes on their fur, the third doesn't seem to have any flakes but is very testy about me moving her hair around to look at her. None are intensively scratching or losing hair or not wanting to be pet. I checked the common spots to see any scabs or lice, saw nothing. They are eating/drinking normally and are stabilizing in weight.

Now I need to take them to a vet. The costs are going to run near $200 for all of them. And at the moment my saved money except for $60 is gone. I figured I'd replace it since nothing has ever gone wrong before. I know, irresponsible, but it's done and now I have pigs who have the first stages of mites or some other skin issue and need to know how long can I wait? I get paid in two weeks, $200. (I work a part time job in between school)

If that's too far, my mom will probably help me out but it'd still be about a week. If they just have the flakes is that too long?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can get ivermectin from a feed store and the directions on how to use it on guinea lynx.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Ok. Good to know. I may have to get it online though no feed stores near me. If it isn't mites though I believe I've read ivermectin doesn't hurt them correct? But doing it at home would be most probable at the moment, put that money towards their fund.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Can anybody direct me to a link to buying ivermectin online?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
On guinea lynx on my piggie marketplace they sell it. You just have to follow the directions they give you on it's usage because you don't want to give them too much. You do it topically.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can buy it at WalMart if you have one close to you. It is in the pet/horse section.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
I reread Debs post. The one at Walmart is given orally after you mix it. The amount and how to mix and use is on guinea lynx

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
This is what I order--

(broken link removed)

You can use it topically or orally.

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey, I actually have the same problem. They have "dandruff" but their skin is not dry, nor does it flake up. I also haven't found any scabs or anything on their skin. They do scratch once in a while though. I just discovered this yesterday. I'm not sure if it's because of the heater in my apartment or something. I was wandering if a guinea pig's mites and lice can be treated with a bird spray? would it be the same? here's a link to the bird spray:
(broken link removed)
I also saw a small animal flea and tick spray, but I don't think that's the same right?
Sorry for stealing your post n thanks =D

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Don't use sprays. Ivermectin would be the only good med to use. Those sprays often just irritate the heck out of their skin making it more uncomfortable. Just buy the ivermectin, better to be safe than sorry right? :)

Thank you everyone for the replies. This is the first time they've ever had even a thought of a health issue and I was freaking out yesterday. I am going to order the Ivermectin topical pour on stuff from amazon.com tonight, and probably Thursday I'll get a new scale and start their treatments.

Last edited:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
You might need to stop at your local pharmacy or vet and ask for a syringe with or without a needle as you will need to accurately dose between .1 and .3 or so CC depending on weight which is like litterally a drop or two. They might not give it to you if its for someone that didnt get a RX so I just say I was here the other day and need another... Never had an issue just tell them the size syringe you need which you will probably need a 1 cc that can go down to the 10th of a decimal point...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Hey, I actually have the same problem. They have "dandruff" but their skin is not dry, nor does it flake up. I also haven't found any scabs or anything on their skin. They do scratch once in a while though. I just discovered this yesterday. I'm not sure if it's because of the heater in my apartment or something. I was wandering if a guinea pig's mites and lice can be treated with a bird spray? would it be the same? here's a link to the bird spray:
(broken link removed)
I also saw a small animal flea and tick spray, but I don't think that's the same right?
Sorry for stealing your post n thanks =D
Absolutely no sprays ever. Sprays have dangerous, even toxic chemicals in them that could harm your pig.

Dandruff can be caused by nothing more than dry skin. Possibly from too much bathing or just occurs naturally. In pigs that just have dry skin with no other signs, try using a little bit of coconut oil and rub it into the flaky spots. Coconut oil is safe and can help dry skin issues, however, it will not kill parasites.

If you want to treat for mites then follow the suggestions in the thread for ivermectin.

chubbypiggies

Cavy Slave
Absolutely no sprays ever. Sprays have dangerous, even toxic chemicals in them that could harm your pig.

Dandruff can be caused by nothing more than dry skin. Possibly from too much bathing or just occurs naturally. In pigs that just have dry skin with no other signs, try using a little bit of coconut oil and rub it into the flaky spots. Coconut oil is safe and can help dry skin issues, however, it will not kill parasites.

If you want to treat for mites then follow the suggestions in the thread for ivermectin.
Oh, okay. But just in case I'll try to get some ivermectin too. Is it the same as Bimectin? I saw the Bimectin in a horse feed store, and underneath the "Bimectin" lable "Ivermectin" was in brackets.
I think it was something like this : (broken link removed)
Thanks!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, Bimectin is one brand of the horse paste ivermectin. Dose according to instructions at Guinea Lynx.

Kimberly713, you will need a syringe with a needle to draw it out of the bottle. Then take the needle off to apply.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.