Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Surprise pregnancys from surprise gifts

jaded

Cavy Slave
Okay, so I got my son 2 female guineas for the holidays. (Pet store purchase, and yes, I now know that was not the brightest idea.) Wednesday is the larger of our 2 and the first I suspected to be pregnant. She's become so large that I worry for her as well as feel bad for her. Lucy seems to be a week or two behind her in pregnancy and is much smaller. I had originally had them in the same cage but over the last week Wednesday started to beat Lucy up fairly badly so I had to separate them.

Wednesday has had an amazingly huge appetite since we got her, but today she has slowed down and is just picking at her food more than anything. She has for the most part only wanted her hay and her water, she's ignored her pellets and greens almost entirely today. Should I be worried about this? Also her pelvic bones have begun to separate, they're at just over fingertip now. Could the lack of interest in food be due to impending labor? She is also amazingly skittish today and has spent most of her day hiding. In order to get her to an exotic vet I have well over an hours drive and with it being a holiday weekend I worry that if any of this is a sign that something is wrong I may not be able to get her to a vet in time. My only other concern after reading so much tonight is the possibility that she may be roan and I haven't a clue what the father was. Any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Lack of interest in food can indicate impending labor, and the separation of the pelvic bones usually means that she'll deliver within about 48 hours. That's give or take, however, as the pups come when they come. It's all just a guess.

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/labor.html for more info on what to expect.

jaded

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I think I may of been less nervous when I had my son than I am about his pets being pregnant, to be honest.

jaded

Cavy Slave
From top to bottom over is the size progression over the last couple of weeks on the days I have to clean the cage. Wednesday is black with white speckles and a white stripe on her rump, Lucy is our brown lady.

Attachments

P1060966.jpg P1111028.jpg P1121062.jpg P1151066.jpg P1151071.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That looks like a pet store cage. It's undoubtedly too small for one pig, much less a pig and pups. See the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better.

jaded

Cavy Slave
It is a pet store cage, but there are 2, not one as I had to separate them around a week ago. I'm still learning and have been researching cages, the new cages have to wait until pay day. Both cages are the living world xl ones so they're roughly 46x22. But I had been reading up on here as to the c&c ones and what sizes are best for about an hour before I actually joined the forum.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Goodness she's huge! Fingers crossed for a safe delivery and healthy pups.

Also, in the mean time while you're saving up for the C&C, try and provide extensive free time for them so they get plenty of exercise.

jaded

Cavy Slave
I'm weary of getting her/ them out of the cages with how big she is and now feeling the kicks from Lucy's belly. Didn't have a clue about Lucy being pregnant until I was kicked 2 days ago. The size difference between them is insane. Cages are spot cleaned daily and fully cleaned every 4-5 days or so. But when I do let them out they have the entire living room to roam. We block off the couch and recliner to keep them from going under. Both have an amazingly good time rolling around the balls with bells in them and tossing around cardboard tubes. And Lucy wheeks for my son until he comes to sit with her and pet and brush her. Wednesday will only wheek for me and seems to for the most part ignore my son. Up until we realized Wednesday was pregnant they both got about 1 hour out of the cage a day. Now they're at about an hour and a half on days I clean the cages.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
While they're so heavily pregnant you can just let them sit in the cage, it's uncomfortable for pregnant sows to be handled anyway. I meant once they've given birth, but I could have worded it much more clearly haha!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't handle her! Once they get to basketball size, it's terrifically uncomfortable for them, and can damage their spines, as well. Just clean around her until the pups come.

jaded

Cavy Slave
Most likely will just leave her in there, I've been scared to handle her for the last week because she just keeps getting bigger by the day. She looks so insanely uncomfortable that I wince when I see her waddle around. Nothing new today, she's still mostly just resting. She drinks plenty of water and she's eating a good bit of hay, she's for the most part ignoring her pellets and has totally ignored her bell pepper and greens today.

jaded

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I'm worried out of my mind for both of them. The one I had when I was a little girl died in the middle of the night giving birth when a baby got caught in the birth canal. I've been freaking out since I figure out both were pregnant.

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
Wishing both mommas a safe delivery!!!

jaded

Cavy Slave
Thank you all very much for the well wishes

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I hope all goes well, can't wait to see baby pigtures!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Poor mama pig, I sympathize with her big time. :( I hope her labor goes smoothly and her pups are healthy. Best of luck to you too piggy grandma!

Lizzerbeast

Cavy Slave
Really hope both mamas have safe labors!!! Wishing you luck!

jaded

Cavy Slave
Thank you all. @ Inle_Rabbit so do I, I was miserable towards the end of having my son and he was only one. I'm not sure how many she has in there but she certainly looks highly uncomfortable

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Poor mama is so huge :( Praying for a safe, easy and hopefully quick delivery. I can't even imagine how miserable she is. Prayers for Lucy also as she gets bigger and closer to delivery. You're going to have a noisy/busy house for a few weeks! Lol

jaded

Cavy Slave
Somewhere between 2am when I went to bed and 6am when I got up Ms Wednesday delivered. 5 babies, all seem perfectly fine and healthy. Mama is doing great, eating and drinking normally and being super attentive to them. Haven't really checked them out too well yet, but will post pics as soon as I can. For right now I'm just letting her do her thing but will clean out the bedding and such here soon to get the blood out of there and check the little ones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.