Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Splaying Out legs when petted

Mwhite104

Cavy Slave
Hello!
I'm a new pig owner, I just got a boar on Tuesday. He is very shy, but yesterday he let me pet his back and give him some treats. He did the strangest thing when I rubbed him, he spayed his back feet out and got really low on his belly. Is this normal? Do your guineas do this too?

I'm not sure, but I think he's just relaxed and stretching out. Ginger's never done this, but I'm sure other people can help you more:)

Shelby does this all the time! He LOVES his rubbies! It just means they like what you are doing :)

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping it just felt good! My husband thought he might be afraid and tried to make himself look smaller. I'll try to get a pic if he does it again!

Oh good! He is just so shy, I'm glad he is starting to like pets!

Mine do that too :) Honey even "purrs" when she is petted on her lower back, and Panda purrs when she is petted behind the ears... If he were scared, he would have scurried off or backed away... :) slow movements, quietly talking, and even letting them roam in a room while you sit in the middle is a good idea... I got Honey to come up to me herself, by doing the room thing. It worked, and then your cavy can get used to your presence and knows you are not a bad person! lol

:) congratz That means he is relaxing, and they only relax when they feel protected, It is a guinea pigs natural defence to be ready to run and when they relax that means they feel like theres not danger. So basically lucky for you your guinea pig has learned to trust you and considering you just got him on tuesday you are a very luck to have such a trustin guinea pig.

I got this paragraph from Guinea Pig Behaviour

Unlike hamsters, guinea pigs aren't nocturnal and don't sleep for long periods. They just take small naps during the day and night. They often don't close their eyes unless they are feeling very relaxed and even then its not very often, as guinea pigs like to be on the alert for danger. Many guinea pigs will just relax and rest their head on the ground, others will be totally relaxed and spread out their hind legs.

That's so adorable! Aww it gave me warm fuzzy feelings! I wanna go home now and pet my Shelby lol

My pig Samwise does this. I was kinda wondering the same thing. If you put him on your lap he will just lay down with his legs spread out. He doesn't really move during laptime unless I feed him lol.

Poppy does that quite often!

I wish Honey would sit still during lap time lol. Panda does.

Ewok & Loki being petted:

Splaying Out legs when petted

They love it and you can see they stretch their legs too, but watch out if you pet one more than the other!! They become jealous and begin to push each other ;), funniest pets I ever had!

Awww! What a cute picture! Lol love the little back foot sticking out. :-D

Oooh, piggy toes, this is so cute.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.